Author Topic: Dremel tool router attachment for inletting locks  (Read 8284 times)

Offline redheart

Dremel tool router attachment for inletting locks
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
  Hey Guys, :-\

Has anyone out there tried the Dremel Tool router attachment for inletting a lockplate!
I realize that it might be blasphemous to use such a thing ,but for those of us who have very little time for projects I'd like to know if it's an effective or dangerous tool for an ameteur?
I bought one and I'm undecided as to risk of using it or not!

Thanks,

Redheart

gunsports

Re: Dremel tool router attachment for inletting locks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
I use a Dremel router attachment for fine inletting. It works and works well. However, I will not rout to the final line; for this I use inlettng chisels and gauges. So, it's mostly for stock removal. (For this, a set of hobby knives - Exacto - with modified blades, works even better than chisels and gauges.)

Where this little attachment shines is for inletting the lock parts into the stock. Much more accurate work is possible than with hand tools.

You will also find your work is much neater than with using hand tools. Especially in the lock area, you can achieve very good, flat finishes that would otherwise take hours of scraping and sanding to achieve.

Not only for lock work. This little router shines when inletting trigger guards, triggers and trigger plates; even patch boxes.

Router torque is about non existant, so there is little fear of the router 'running away' from you. But, as with all power tools: practice, practice, and then practice some more.

Also, the attachment is a little flimsy; so work kindly with it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
The new cordless Dremels real cure the problem of getting involved in the project, and forgetting that snagging the cord on something can mess up your inletting job. Its well worth the extra cost.

Hungry Horse

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
I own a cordless Dremel tool but have not used it on my Lancaster project and have no plans to. I do have extensive routing experience from furniture making. For this rifle I prefer to do all the inletting by hand rather than mess with making the needed router jigs, positioning them, repositioning them, the noise and ultimately having to do hand work anyway. By the time you have done all of that you can be finished doing a deliberate and tight inlay by hand.

redheart: Welcome to the ALR forums. If you are unsure of your hand inletting skills try it on some poplar, or scrap maple if you have it. You will soon get the hang of it. For small inlays look into the "stamping" method and making a lens shaped stamping tool. You will find a wealth of information in the ALR archives on lnletting any aspect of a rifle.

dave
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:52:14 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RichG

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
I use the dremel to inlet the lock internals after inletting the plate to the proper depth. I find I do much neater work than with chisels. once the plate is inlet i shape the wood around the lock plate to almost finish depth and it gives a good flat surface to register the router on.

TINKER

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
120v Dremel tool with a Dremel plunge router attachment. Yes!
Run it off of a modified (old) bakelite Singer sewing machine foot control.  This allows positioning before winding it up. And, shutting it off before repositioning.  The foot control is the key to preventing boo-boo's.
I have found this to do a squeak-fit right up to a knife edge cut made around the plate as a stop line.  Have done two locks and side plate inlets that came out perfectly!

sweed

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
If your doing "one off" leave the Dremel in its box! If you'r gona do more than 3, get yourself a bunch of scrap wood and start making jigs. Notice I say jigS. The first few will not produce the desired results. Don't try to modifie them, just start over with the knowledge you gained. DO NOT under any circumstance use any kind of router without some kind of jig or guide.  If something bad CAN happen, it WILL happen, sooner or later. When you can router an acceptable inlay with your set up, do them ALL before you use that router for anything else. You will Never get it set exactly like that again! Before you start, go back and read PPatch again, and again!  ;D ;D ;)

Offline redheart

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
  ;D  Dear Guys,

I wan't to thank you all kindly for the great info.
I gives me the confidence to get going with the project and to quit stareing at the d--mn thing.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
I tried inletting a lock ONCE with a dremel, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....when the little bugger grabbed, and took off on me... needless to say, I removed more wood than I'd been planning on.  :(

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »
I tried inletting a lock ONCE with a dremel, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....when the little bugger grabbed, and took off on me... needless to say, I removed more wood than I'd been planning on.  :(

Tom
On one shooter, I went a bit too far on lower mortice line of the lock.  Shimmed later with a sliver of the stock wood recut (by hand) and can't find or see the line.

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
You should do it by hand first, then you can decide whether you need a router.  I bet you have built up the task bigger than it is -- I know I did.  The first one took about 4 hours, now maybe 2.  These aren't prissy at all, so double or triple those times if you want more of the Manton look (for all those times you want to display the lock mortise; just remember its likely not PC for early Am. LR's), but still, it isn't a lot of time to spend learning something; maybe a week of evenings if you take your time on the first one.  One thing to keep in mind is that going for extremely close clearances can backfire when the weather changes: You may find your lock sticks in the mortise or something rubs, slowing down the lock.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
I have one of those router attachments for my dremel, never tried it. Mainly I use it for cutting mortises in the butt for latch mechanisms that don't require fine detail. Dremels are good but kind of like grabbing a rattlesnake by the tail. You're likely to get bit!

Mississippi Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »

Tom

Exactly....... I have found that all power tools are good for is helping you make mistakes QUICKER.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19:32 AM »
I too have a dremel , but I plan on doing my first and subsequent rifle lock inlets by hand. My opinion is the slower you go the better inlet your able to achieve.
Just my opinion.
                                     topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!