Author Topic: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #7  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Firelock

Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #7
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
In this installment I drill and tap the lock plate for the lock bolt. I also inlet the side plate.

Before you watch this I want to warn you that I'll be confessing to two sins in this video that will probably get me blackballed from the company of skilled rifle builders. So I fully expect to take criticism. I'm just hoping you don't beat me too hard.

Here's the video

Birddog6

Re: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #7
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »
One suggestion.....  Next time, before you give up on the front lock bolt, why not drill a sample hole in the barrel inlet down into the RR hole, right in front or behind of where the lock bolt will go.  Then measure the thickness of the wood there, take that measurement to the lockplate & to the sideplate & SEE if the bolt is going to interfere with the RR hole ?  You may have had plenty of room for the front lockbolt, but you have to look first.   ;)   If there is ample room for the lockbolt, put one in there. If not, then you decide whether to make a fake screw, or a notch in the screw shank, or what.  
Then ya glue in a short lil plug in the test hole ya drilled, cut it off, no hole in the barrel inlet now.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:01:32 AM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Firelock

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
Keith, That's good advice.

The last rifle I built 20 years ago, I did have to notch the front bolt...didn't like it.

Over the years, when I was building rifles, I put only a rear lock bolt on more than half of them. That single bolt held the lock just fine, but just one bolt on the side plate looked kind of hokey to me...hence the faux forward lock bolt.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
I've not seen the video (I don't youtube) but if you are doing videos for a teaching aide, it's just wrong. Also, I sure hope you are telling any prospective buyers of the bolt issue. I know I'd be ticked if I got one and found that situation and wasn't told.

Offline Firelock

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
I'm not making this to sell. It is strictly for me. I doubt that I've sold more than five guns of any kind in the last 20 years.

Also, I'm not trying to be a teacher, just documenting what I'm doing. I'm very up front about not being a skilled builder.

Frenchymanny

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
I personally find it great to be able to monitor your progress.
You stated it first: This is your way of doing things, and for some I think I'll do differently, but still very interesting

Thank you Sir

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:03:14 AM »
Firelock, Keb makes a good point about this as a teaching aide, I know you're just documenting what you do, but people use You Tube as a teaching aide today. For whatever thats worth.

That being said, trying the front bolt would have been worth the effort as was suggested. Even better if the sideplate was canted awkwardly maybe showing how to make one that actually looks good and allows a proper front bolt would be worth the effort.

I have always thought that the web, front bolt, RR hole, sideplate looking good,  is as challenging a part of building as there is.

I saw a breif glimpse of your butt plate, I have one of those in my parts drawer that I picked up at a show.  It's pretty huge 1 7/8 by 5. Do you plans to slim that down some ?  Pretty large for a classic bucks county rifle. 

I don't have issue with the glass bedding .

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:14:22 AM »
You're doing a great job.  Keep it up and thanks for posting this as it helps a lot. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin