Author Topic: 8/4 x 8 walnut?  (Read 3393 times)

mupperm

8/4 x 8 walnut?
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:55 AM »
i came across a piece of black walnut that is Plane Sawn in my fathers woodshop its about 6ft long and 8" wide.  so being 8/4 is that wide enough to maybe make good long rifle stock?  I will not be using it on my first build but possibly later on down the road

snowdragon

Re: 8/4 x 8 walnut?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:52 AM »
It's that darn cheekpiece that presents a problem.  Just not enough width to make a decent shaped cheekpiece.  I've built a number of rifles from 8/4 planks I get from a local hardwood retailer, but none of them have a cheekpiece. The actual measurement of the wood is usually about 1-7/8".  Some gun styles don't even have a cheekpiece, like an original English scattergun I own. I'm sure there are other styles out there. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if you built a nice rifle without one, some shooters just don't like them.

Also, with random planks like the one you described, sometimes the grain pattern isn't condusive to building a gun around it. Check the grain direction in both directions (vertically and horizontally) for run-out potential, especially in the wrist area.

Kline

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:17 AM »
I guess it would depend on how much drop you could get. you would have to have the toe and the muzzle at the bottom of the board and then you would have to see how the grain ran at the wrist,etc. It would not work for an early style rifle, not thick enough, but a later style would work as long as you wanted no cast.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:56:04 AM »
It depends on what you want to make.  It would work for many later period stock styles.  If it's a true 2" thick, a butplate up to 1 3/4" in width should work with it.  With this being the case, many styles can be made.  Look at reference material that lists butplate width and you'll likely be suprised how many fall in this range.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »
I am working on a Bucks County rifle that started as a 2" wide blank. I was nervous the whole way thru. I would worry about the grain thru the wrist area and enough room for drop.
Bring to the meeting tomorrow evening Mike and we will look it over.
Bruce (Mr Lucky)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:19:33 AM by b bogart »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »
make pistols, trade them for 10/4 and 12/4 blanks 

baddaabing!  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
i came across a piece of black walnut that is Plane Sawn in my fathers woodshop its about 6ft long and 8" wide.  so being 8/4 is that wide enough to maybe make good long rifle stock?  I will not be using it on my first build but possibly later on down the road

Depends on the rifle being planned.
Use cast off when possible and use the taper toward the lock panels to make the cheekpiece higher.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine