Author Topic: one piece silver front sight  (Read 5709 times)

Offline sonny

one piece silver front sight
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:31:34 AM »
anybody know where i can get a one piece silver barleycorn front sight for my long rifle.I bought one at dixons muzzleloading fair which came with the back sight as a set,but did not leave enough base to allow for windage before filing flush.I wasn't sure if i was going to like the rounder polished shape of that front sight because i always used an iron square front sight for my hunting rifle.Well it turned out i seem to like the way it shows up when aiming at game......anybody help me please.....thanks....sonny

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: one piece silver front sight
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:57:01 AM »
Terry: If she were mine I would not hesitate to dress that 'blade' off on which ever side you need to!  It's the same as drifting the sight!  You could carefully round her off then to still appear as the barley corn!  Remember you move the front sight the opposite way you want the ball to go!  This of course assumes you do not need to move the frt blade tooooo much!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:57:07 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:46:10 AM »
Sonny,

I am doing a bunch of sterling silver castings now.  If you make up a front sight the way you want it out of "file-a wax" or plastic and send it to me, I will cast it for you.  No charge.  Send me an e-mail.

DC
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:48:49 AM »
well i need about 1" of windage at 50 yds.I tried to bend the silver blade slight left an file the right side to get the desired effect but after all that i noticed that twisting the front blade loosened up the sight in the dovetail...geez...did a fine job at it!......tried to peen down the silver base to expand it but ended up with a $#*! of a mess......naw!!!! i need a new front sight......@!*% silver is soft......don't remember silver dimes that soft????..........sonny

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:59:32 AM »
dave,,,,,,,,thanks very much,i would really appreciate it!.....I have a sight which i tried to replace the silver barleycorn.In an attempt to get the blade perfectly rested on barrel flat,I filed too much off the base an made it loose.....I need a slight larger thicker longer sight base then the one i am sending?!?!?!?.......not helping much huh!!!........sonny

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:45:01 AM »
Send it along...I think I know what you need.  Not a problem. I replied to your e-mail.

DC
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

billd

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »
"Well it turned out i seem to like the way it shows up when aiming at game......anybody help me please.....thanks....sonny"

Hey Sonny,   Where did you find game to aim at?

Bill

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:46:09 AM »
Sterling silver front sights are superior to anything else. They show up light in the woods when you cannot see a steel sight. With the sun at your back, they look dark like a steel sight. With the sun in your face , the edge picks up a glare and gives you a good picture. Make them square and sharp with a little nick at the edge. Not a barleycorn. That works in the woods only. And silver is better than brass.

Casting is the hard way. Simply fold silver sheet.  Flow silver solder into the joint to make one piece and file it up. There's tricks to saving time but that's basically it. And you can make anything you want.

NSBrown

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
I agree with B Shipman; the way to go is build your own sight out of sheet silver. Follow the link below to Jack Brooks' website to get step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/index.htm

Click on the "Classroom" button in the menu and scroll down to the instruction for building a Barleycorn sight.

If others have not seen Jack's site, drop by, it is worth your time.

Stewart Brown

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
Stan Hollenbaugh (717-259-9271) has a good looking barley corn front sight available in brass  or silver.  I think he is asking  $14.00 for the silver version.
                                                  Roger Sells

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
I agree with B Shipman; the way to go is build your own sight out of sheet silver. Follow the link below to Jack Brooks' website to get step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/index.htm

Click on the "Classroom" button in the menu and scroll down to the instruction for building a Barleycorn sight.

If others have not seen Jack's site, drop by, it is worth your time.

Stewart Brown

Great site, for sure.
Andover, Vermont