Author Topic: Patch box latch  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Greg S Day

Patch box latch
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
Happy Holidays Gentlemen

I'm working my way through a Bucks Co. style rifle.  She's pretty well shaped and most parts are installed.  I'm starting to think about the side opening patch box.  I want to do a simple release button through the butt plate.

Any suggestions on the material for the release bar.  It's the spring/catch/release all in one piece.  None of the wood PB catch bars in Track look right (they're all for a sliding wooden cover).

Thanks

Greg

He Conquers Who Endures

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch box latch
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:18:37 AM »
I think you'll have to forge something.  I haven't seen anything suitable for the Lehigh or Bucks County-through the buttplate-catch-and-spring gizmo.  These do not really need to be all that springy.  I'd start with a large square nail.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »
Greg, Have you explored other release mechanisms that were common on Buck's County rifles ? A hidden release under the toe plate is very common for a side opening patchbox. 

famouseagle

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »
Tom is correct. 

If your're building a Bucks Co. gun the correct release is a simple one that is hidden under the toe plate.  You can get the parts you need from Muzzleloader Builders Supply (#10160). 

The only difference from the instructions supplied is that the release doesn't extend through the toeplate. The circular area around the (correct) toeplate is relieved so that the plate can be pressed slightly to push the rod against the release spring.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:25 AM »
Hey I even made one that worked! The brass box cover is springy enough that an opener spring isn't necessary, just a latch/release spring.
Bruce