Author Topic: Need to learn the "styles" or "schools" of long rifles  (Read 3890 times)

Shootrj2003

Need to learn the "styles" or "schools" of long rifles
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
I know ,with fair certainty, a leman or a Hawkin but even with these a mediocre counterfieter could get over on me,as far as the longrifles go,I'm totally lost as far as knowing a Beck or a Lancaster etc.I do however know fine work from garbage or even excellent from just good work. In short I'm at the second or third rung up the ladder and would like to get a good book to set me straight.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Need to learn the "styles" or "schools" of long rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
Kentucky Rifles and Pistols, 1750-1850 LOTS of guns by School. Little text.

The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Kauffman, he did most of the research for Kindig I have read. Lots of text few photos.

Kindigs "Thought on The Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age

Rifles of Colonial America 1 & 2 lots of earlier guns.
The first three are the most important IMO for seeing the differences and where the areas really were (Kauffman)
Various other books.  The earlier KRA book , "Kentucky Rifle True American Heritage in Picture" is good but many duplicates of the later  "1750-1850"
Kauffman can be found used at bargain prices sometimes. I would use Inter-library loan if I could not afford the books. IF you can find them.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Shootrj2003

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Dphariss,
 Thank you for the info ,I guess I'll start shopping around.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
Shoot,

You may want to look at the book lots of antique firearms auctions.  The books that Dan suggested, which are excellent recommendations, periodically show up there.

Bill

Rick G.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »
I agree with Dphariss. Books, books, books. I'm a new enthusiast and still can't believe the amount of variances in styles. I think of it as just part of the fun, and I learn something new every day.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »
Tennessee Mountain,Unicoi County,Bedford county. That is all you need to know......For now. ;D

Dan's recommendations are spot on. "Thought's" is,in my opinion,a "Must Have" book in even the casual longrifle library. I have an original 1st edition,bought a new one so the "real" one doesn't get damaged!,and IT'S almost worn out!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:28 AM »
Pennsylvania Longrifles Of Note by George Shumway is an inexpensive little book (65 pages) that features 30 rifles from 16 different schools.  It contains a description of the rifles pictured and explains  some characteristics of each school. Available from TOW for $15.  A lot of info for the money.
Roger Fleisher

Offline HIB

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »
E-mail/ALR mail sent with Kentucky Rifle Foundation educational material available plus several comments. Regards, HIB

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
With respect to my earlier post on book lots at firearm auctions, Conestoga Auctions' February 16th auction has a number of the books mentioned here. See www.conestogaauction.com