Author Topic: Early English Pistol  (Read 3189 times)

Offline cmac

Early English Pistol
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »

50 caliber smoothbore,8" stepped round barrel, Chambers small Queen Anne lock, self made butt cap, side plate, and belt hook. Curly maple stock is finished with aqua fortis and refined linseed oil.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: Early English Pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
Hey, thats a great looking pistol . I like the butt cap engraving and the carving also. Great job!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:06:28 AM »
I like it. Great job ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:25:27 AM »
Very business like pistol.  If I were having an intense discussion with another hombre and he pulled out this pistol, I believe I would immediately concede his point and back away carefully.
Nice work.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
Thanks everybody. I've made and test fired 2 of these now. Both hit about 8" high at 15-25 yards with 20-30 grains of 3f. Any ideas? Barrels are a bit short to tweak, and I'm not sure the buyer's would want that anyway. Maybe just good old Kentucky windage?

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Thanks everybody. I've made and test fired 2 of these now. Both hit about 8" high at 15-25 yards with 20-30 grains of 3f. Any ideas? Barrels are a bit short to tweak, and I'm not sure the buyer's would want that anyway. Maybe just good old Kentucky windage?

My .50 caliber pistol is rifled, but it shoots the same way if I'm not careful.  See if a very light load shoots much closer to point of aim, and if it does then go back to full charge and work on your hold and followthrough.  I think the muzzle is climbing (more with heavier charges) due to angle of grip/relation to bore, but I'm not a pistol shooter, just have one that I shoot occasionally "dueling style" :).

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:53 AM »
Good convincing  pistol.