Author Topic: How to straighten up the butt on stock in progress  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

How to straighten up the butt on stock in progress
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
I have a very very nice piece of sugar maple mostly shaped for a flintlock.  However, as this work progressed (I have very long build times - slowest builder in the world I suppose) the toe of the stock has twisted toward the left side of the stock which isn't very attractive.  The top line is fine and has the correct amount of cast off but the toe really gives the rifle a twisted appearance looking down it's length from the rear. 

My thought is I need to use heat lamps and vegetable oil to bend this displacement back where it belongs, which would entail moving the toe back to the right approximately 3/8". 

Here is the question.  Should I postpone bending until the finish is applied or do it now which might keep the stock from taking the aqua fortis stain uniformly.  I have had several modern shotgun stocks bent in their fully finished state without damage to the finish but never has a raw stock bent using this method?

Or will  the aquafortis  carry through any residual oil on the surface?  Anyone with experience in this? 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: How to straighten up the butt on stock in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
Oil should not be needed. Just a jig to put pressure on the stock and heat lamps.
Oil will prevent staining with traditional methods.
Dan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:31:00 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
You can always apply very hot water with the heat as well.  This will help conduct the heat deeper into the wood.  Steam alone is certainly another option. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
I think hot water/steam is good for unfinished stocks. Oil would soak into raw wood, and be a horrible problem to stain/finish afterwards.

I believe Taylor did a brief tutorial or photo essay on this several years ago.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:47:40 AM »
I used hot vegetable oil on an already finished gun - a Tulle musket.  The oil holds the heat longer and allows the heat to penetrate deeper into the wood.  The oil itself does not go deeply into the stock.  I believe I['d use water or steam on raw wood, rather than oil.  Be patient and go slowly, reapplying the heat until the wood is heated through the wrist.  You must have the stock clamped down securely and have a system for adding wedges or a twisting devise to the butt, a little at a time, and take the wood further than your need, as it will 'recover' and want to return to the warped state.  It hopefully will recover only enough to make it perfectly straight again.  Anyway, if it doesn't work the first or second attempt, try it again, until it does.
I applied clean shop rags to the wrist held there with nylon tie-straps, so that the heat would soak into the wood over a period of a couple of hours.
It was amazing how easily and far the wood could be forced to move without damage, when the heat was right.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:19 AM »
Some will just plain wander. My fowler started out straight, and now has at least 1.5" of off-cast. Glad it went the right way!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:42 AM »
Wow! An inch and a half.  You ought to show a picture of that!