Author Topic: Oregon Gun Makers Fair  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Oregon Gun Makers Fair
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
If appropriate, could this be posted as a Sticky?

OREGON GUN MAKERS FAIR
April 20&21, 2013

The Oregon Gun Makers Fair has entered its second decade as an educational service to those interested in the Art and Construction of Flintlock Arms. We offer a relaxed and friendly atmosphere to study and practice the crafts of the Firelock. Thanks to Warren Adair and his workshop we have the opportunity to actively demonstrate many tasks not acheivable is a seminar setting.

We have three ongoing projects that are being used to demonstrate various tasks and to study stylistic details. These are the Moravian Rifle (near completion and ready to faffle off), a Half Stock Hawken Rifle and a Schuler Style Smooth bore.  The weekend demonstrations will include vaious tasks relating to each of these projects.

Our format includes a Satuday Lunch and Saturday BBQ just before our evening Raffle.

We anticipate Jim Hayden will have his specialty Book Inventory here again.

Many people bring surplus materials for sale, so there is often a nice variety of goods for sale.

Display space is available for displays of Original Arms, Contemporary Arms and work under construction. Please bring any items that you would like.

During the seminar weekend, we propose to find time to concentrate on the Hawken Rifle Project, discuss and examine an original Felix Mieir Fowler, study and discuss contruction of various patch box releases, practice  home workshop photo sessions with Professioanl Photographer Rob Mertz and make progress into the Schuler Smoothbore project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registration $45.00

Name_______________________- Phone ___________- Email________________
Mailing address_________________________________________________

Send Registration to
Ronald Scott
4730 West Griffin Creek Road, Medford Or 97501

Phone 541-858-2800  Cell 541-941-0395  email  ronscottflintlocks@gmail.com

Workshops April 18&19, 2013

The workshops require a minumum of four students each and are limited to a maximum of eight.  Registration with fees need to be accomlished by April 1st, 2013. If the minimum number of four is not realized the workshop will cancel and fees will be refunded.

Engraving with Ron Scott  $200.00

Ron if offering a beginning and intermediate level workshop. Ron will be introducing a new set of Gold Inlay points and a Spetzer Graver Configuration that promises to be a very strong and versatile alternative to the traditional 90 degree graver point.  I intend to prepare a sideplate for each student to practive some sculpting  and deep relief.

Students who have graver equipment should plan to bring it. Anyone needing basic tools should contact Ron for sources.

I will furnish the Graver Point templates, some graver blanks and practice plates.

Call me at 541-858-2800 with any questions.

Rifle furniture making with Dave Rase  $200.00
Dave Rase will be offering a class on making longrifle furniture.  This will be a hands on workshop where students learn how to manufacture their brass or steel furniture starting from sheet stock.  Students will learn to file facets, wedding bands and decorative rings as well as the overall shape of their furniture.  The first day of class will concentrate on  the nose cap, thimbles and entry pipe.  Tthe second day will be for making the patchbox, fitting the door forming the hinge and cutting the knuckles.  There will be a small materials fee to cover the cost of the brass. Each student will be provided tools for forming the hinge, thimbles and entry pipes which they can keep at the end of the class. If time permits there will be a demonstration on swaging a buttplate.  
Dave Rase 360-479-1888

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Oregon Gun Makers Fair
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
I posted the information in the Events forum: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25479.msg243892#msg243892

Take a look and make sure I have the location city correct, let me know if changes are needed.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson