Author Topic: Flints in bulk  (Read 3585 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Flints in bulk
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
I've been a fan of French Flints for many years. They were always about twice the cost of the English flint. For some reason the price of English and French flint seem to be equalizing. Or the price of the English flint is rising (Don't know)
Anyway I just bought a bag of 100 French flints from TOW. I was very satisfied with the consistencty of the selection. Buying in bulk gets you about 2 dozen flints FOR FREE. So I'm good to go for a couple of years I think.

Crossed Arrows

Re: Flints in bulk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
Micah - You make a very good point about buying in bulk.

In any shooting sport, the cost of ammunition or components should be planned out and budgeted to buy top quality at the best price and the least amount of effort.  Travelling miles to buy a small quantity at top retail price is a waste of time, product cost and travel cost.  In fact, with today's higher and higher travel costs, we really have to think ahead before making any trip.

If we put pencil to paper, figuring out how much shooting we are likely to do over the next year or two, then how to get the best bulk price for powder, ball, patches, percussion caps, flints, cleaning materials, match entry fees and travel costs, then compare those bulk costs to small quantity retail costs, we might save enough money to pay for another hunting trip.  At least, that's what Benjamin Franklin would have advised us back "in the day."

Offline LH

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
About 20 years ago I bought a thousand each Fuller 3/4 and 5/8 flints.  One of the few smart things I've ever done. ::)  Not much I've seen in my life ever got any cheaper as time went by, so if you're going to use it and can afford it,  go on and buy em now. 

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
Yep, I second that LH.
About 15 years ago I went to hang out with my brother in England. He lived near Grimes Graves and went to visit the old flint pits a few times. Then one day I decided to go find out if anybody was still knapping gun flints. Sure enough after stopping and asking a few people starting at Grimes Graves, it lead me to the front door of Fred Avery in Brandon. We had tea and a nice visit then he took me around back to his shop and he demonstrated how he takes a BIG nodule of flint in one hand and a pointed hammer in the other, very quickly reduced it to a large pile of long "blades" which were then simply reduces to gun size flints. I bought a few hundred and still am working through them.
Fred passed away about a year later.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks