Author Topic: Bending a percussion hammer?  (Read 4694 times)

DaveP (UK)

Bending a percussion hammer?
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »
I'm in the early stages of trying to unite a percussion pistol barrel and lock in a scratch built stock and I have a problem.When I offer the lock to the barrel it appears that the hammer is not going to strike the nipple squarely.
It's an Enfield pattern lock, and the hammer is a complex shape, the shaft bends towards the barrel and the head is also set on it in a "nose in" configuration.This brings the hammer over the nipple but viewing from the front reveals the misalignment.
I reckon that all I need do is to bend the top of the shaft a little more, but I'm not sure how to do it. I think the hammer is cast steel, and I would expect that bringing the area I wish to bend to red heat would be the way to go, but what afterwards? Is it enough to simply let it cool down in air, or would I need to carry out some form of heat treatment?

I'm also having trouble deciding whether to try this right away, working by eye, or to wait until I have inlet the lock plate - by which time I would have made decisions which could affect the striking force... Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Online Hungry Horse

Re: Bending a percussion hammer?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »
 I would heat the hammer red hot, with a torch, while holding the main body of the hammer in a vice. The best tool for making the actual bend is the box end, of a box end wrench, that fits over the hammer nose. Making a wire model of the angle the hammer needs to be, to make good contact, is the best way to get it right the first time.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Great advice on the wire mold!  That's a keeper.
Andover, Vermont

SuperCracker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Great advice on the wire mold!  That's a keeper.

X2 !!! 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »
I have had to adjust the nose of percussion hammers many times.  I drilled and filed a hole in a piece of 1/4" steel flat stock that fit perfectly over the hammers I was adjusting.  Then red heat from an oxy/acet torch with the base of the hammer in a vise...slip the 'wrench' over the nose and move it where you'd like it.  Obviously, you can only go so far.  Sometimes one needs a different hammer with more 'reach' or one that lays over the breech farther and is not so straight up and down.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:44:01 PM »
Thanks. Wire model - Brilliant!
Its also good to know I'm not about to do something outrageous. And I've decided for myself to inlet first. If I have to replace a small piece of plain walnut - so be it.
But my question about "aftercare" was quite serious, my metallurgical knowledge is limited.
If I simply leave it to cool afterwards, will that be OK?

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »
Yes.  The hammer, if it came from an original lock, probably was case hardened.  You'll lose a lot of that when you heat it red, but it doesn't matter to the hammer.  It'll still function fine.  So after bending, just let it cool slowly.
D. Taylor Sapergia

SuperCracker

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »
How are you guys getting the face of the hammer back square to the nipple after you bend the hammer?  I never could figure out  a good way to do that. Or are you guys even worrying about it?

snowdragon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:47:23 AM »
When I bend a hammer, twisting the nose so that it's square with the nipple is part of the process. I like to use a small oxy/acet torch so that I can heat small areas for more controlled bends. Sometimes it takes lots of little bends to get it just right, but I haven't missed yet. A small crecent wrench is my tool of choice, but I may try a box end wrench on my next project. Bill

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »
If a hammer's face, where it strikes the nipple is not correct, I use a special drill bit ground flat like an end mill, and tapered so as not to make the cup weak.  I like to do it too, to make the hammer nose come down farther on the nipple.  It's easy to do.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »
seen many rifles, first hand and on the ALA museum.  many of then hit the the cap at an angle, not my way of doing things. i guess it works,but i would call it poor craftsmanship.