Author Topic: Large Siler Flint mortise  (Read 4443 times)

JLE

Large Siler Flint mortise
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »
I would like to know if the Large Siler Flint lock mortise on the Pecatonica pre-inlet stock can be enlarged to fit the R.E. Davis 1803 Harpers Ferry Lock? I need to get a good answer on this before placing order. The Pecatonica River catalog says you cannot change locks in a pre-inlet stock. Another well known supplier says you can fit the Davis Lock in the Siler mortise with some work.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Large Siler Flint mortise
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
It don't know if it will fit or not.  If you are set on that stock pattern I would ask Pecatonica to run you a stock and leave the lock mortice (and any other parts you want to switch) un-inlet, so you can use whatever lock you want as long as it fits the general dimensions of the stock.  You will have to inlet the lock yourself but will probably be happier with the end result instead of taking a chance on a "maybe" fit.  Pecatonica is good to work with and a lot more flexible than the catalog implies.

Guy

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »
The TOTW catalog says the Davis Harpers Ferry lock is 5.25x.99 and the large Siler is 5.3x.98.  I would go to their catalog and check out the full size pics.  Looks like it would be close.  If Pecatonica can inlet the stock with out the lock inlet, I would say based on those dimensions it could be pulled off.
DMR   

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »
Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work, and you have an extra lock on your hands. Sell the other, or like me, put it the drawer of shame.

Hahaha

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:48 AM »
Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work, and you have an extra lock on your hands. Sell the other, or like me, put it the drawer of shame.

Hahaha

Tom
Or like me, make one lock out of pieces from 4. ;D
DMR

Bentflint

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »
Pecatonica's mortises are quite big as a rule. I once replaced a LS with a Twigg on a Pecatonica stock for a Friend and still had a lot of wood to remove around the lock.

But, as said above, you will be better off ordering it with out the lock inlet.

Bruce Everhart

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »

Hahaha

Tom

Or in my case, the "large box of shame".
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"