Author Topic: New to the Forum & Muzzleloading  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Wolfeknives

New to the Forum & Muzzleloading
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
Over the years I have enjoyed shooting my cheap Italian made "Plains" rifle. The time has come to enjoy some finer rifles, and spend some more time shooting them. Though I don't think I will ever have the time to build a rifle, I would like to at least make some of the accoutrements. I have spend endless hours reading the information available on this forum. It is truly amazing to see the talent and information shared by the varied members here.
I would like to start by making some knives, likely of the style used in the 1800 - 1850 period. I would like to use a blade steel which would have been available during that period, can anyone help?

I have made a couple of San Francisco style knives, one a copy of the "Bradford" knife.Both were appropriate to the post 1850 period, I think, but certainly not using pieces. They are not aged, I prefer to age my items by actual use.

Wolfgang

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:52:58 AM by Wolfeknives »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: New to the Forum & Muzzleloading
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
  First off, that is beautiful work of the highest class! Superbly executed. The steel you want, to be really correct, would be shear steel, or cast steel. In modern steels, 1070, 1080, would be close in carbon content and simplicity. As you probably know shear steel is blister steel folded and hammer welded much the same as what we call damascus today. Cast steel is made in a crucible. It would all depend on how far you want to take historical correctness. Shear steel would be somewhat expensive, in time or money, whereas the 10XX steels are cheap in price, and considered by most to be a good substitute for the early steels.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
Wow, beautiful work, and when Wick gives you that type of compliment, realize that it is coming from a master.  If you put that talent to work on a rifle, the sky is the limit.  Congratulations on some mighty fine work.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
  I'm no master. I'm just a knifemaker. Those photos show the work of a real master.

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
Dang that takes some serious skill! About how long did that knife take you? I would use a carbon steel like 1095, or an old file, spring, etc.

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
  I'm no master. I'm just a knifemaker. Those photos show the work of a real master.

Wick, I must disagree. In perusing the forum I have seen many of the pieces you posted. Only a master of the craft can execute the many different edged weapons styles, and do it so well.
Thank you for the help with the steel. I will be spending several days at the Klingenmuseum in Solingen soon. It will give me a chance to study some early cutlery. I will also be able to speak with a number of very accomplished bladesmiths who study early steel production. Now that I know what to look for I can study up a little, and know what I am looking for.

Wolfgang

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
Dang that takes some serious skill! About how long did that knife take you? I would use a carbon steel like 1095, or an old file, spring, etc.

I don't remember how long it took to make them, they were done a few years ago. I was lucky to be able to study a few original examples. Figuring out the actual construction method of the originals took longer than making the pieces.
I still own the one in the top photo, and have carried it in the field a few times. It is taking on some patina, which I like. It does however make it less desirable for most knife collectors. However I made it for myself, so it will stay with me.

Wolfgang

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »
Welcome Wolfgang - I've followed your work for years via the custom knife world and you do great work.

For more info on period steels I would check with Ric Furrer at DOOR COUNTY FORGEWORKS
http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/Welcome.html

Ric not only makes period steels, but also holds classes on making your own. As Wick noted 1065-1085 is the steel made commercially today that is closest to the simple steels of the time. Back in the 1970's when I first started down the road of historical replicas I had a couple of dozen knives (mostly trade knives from 1750-1850 along with a couple of 1840's Bowies) tested and the steel was closest to the 10xx series - here's just one breakdown of a Great Lakes English trade knife circa 1780
Carbon 0.67
Manganese 0.03
Phosphorous 0.035
Sulphur 0.001
Silicon 0.03
Copper 0.30
Nickel 0.01

compared to modern  1070
Carbon  .69
Manganese .40
Phosphorous .020 max
Sulphur .025 Max
Silicon .030

Hardness tests were also done and they were all in 46-54 RC level - not near as hard as most blades made today..
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
Chuck, thank you very much for your detailed reply and the link. This is great information.
I will post my efforts as they are completed.

Wolfgang

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
Mind-bogaling work! It does appear to be the work of a Master! If Wick and Chuck say so,DON'T ARGUE!

I'm proud to say I have work from both of them,and being somewhat of a craftsman myself(no where near you fellas!),their praise of your work is a nice thing to have on your resume'!

Although this type of knife isn't my cup of tea,I can surely appreciate the workmanship and skills needed to execute this piece of art!

Nice work!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!