Author Topic: The Other Philly Style Horn  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
The Other Philly Style Horn
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
  This one is about 12” around the outside curve. The Walnut base is hollowed out about 3/4s its length, it is about 2 ¼” and held in by the same 4 wooden pegs that hold the band on. The tip is horn, threaded ½-13, the collar is a press fit held in place by the staple. Color is Lt Brown oil based leather dye applied while the horn was hot, with Brown shoe polish.
 To me it does not flow as well as the last one nor do the proportions look right. It is a thin horn, when held to the light you can see through it. 

Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: The Other Philly Style Horn
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:34:44 AM »
Yea Tim I see what you mean. The horn was just not as nice. Good work and it still makes a fine horn. Just not as nice as the other.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »
I suggest you address it to me, stick it in the mail, and then just forget all about it Tim... ;D

Seriously, It looks pretty good to me...a different character then the previous one, but still a really great horn.
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »
Tim, I'm not a horner, so have to show my ignorance. Is it hard to find smaller/shorter horns with the same kind of curve and twist as can be found in longer horns?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
Tim,
That is a nice horn.  I will go out on a limb and say personally, I like it better than the first one.  I think the color is warmer and the overall horn has a more workmanlike utilitatian appearance vs. an over the counter production made horn, even though screwtips were most often production run horns.
David     

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning