Author Topic: New Vision  (Read 8081 times)

sweed

New Vision
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
 :-\ I need a little advise as to where the balance is on quality/$$$$ in visors. I've seen prices from $17.00 to over $200.00. While I am having some trouble seeing what I need to on the bench, maybe not that much..? I like to buy good tools once ;) and not have to replace or upgrade them for non-performance! I wear wallyworld cheeters, 1.75s what ever that is. ::) Sometimes I have to stack 2 pair for fine stuff, but that will get gungrease on my nose if I'm not careful.  :D So is there a consensus on which visor is in my future? ??? Is there a way to figure out what power to buy for a given working distance?

God Bless

Offline KLMoors

Re: New Vision
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
I've been using an Optivisor for a couple of years and I have absolutely no complaints. Works great, survives being dropped, scraped, and lost on the bench right in front of me.

I'm not sure which lenses I've got in it.

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »
I have been using an Optivisor for thirty years. They have glass lenses, keeps the scratches to a minimum. I use a 5 power, it has a short working distance, which is ok for detail work. I use them for my knife work, don't know what working distance is needed for gun work. Their website lists the power/working distances. One problem I have found with the new Optivisors are the plastic visor bolts they have gone to. They are impossible to adjust for proper tension, keep coming loose. That feature would make me look for a different manufacturer when mine need replacing.

Wolfgang

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »
Optivisor is the only way to go. Been using one for 40 years in front of my glasses. I've noticed that a lot of gunsmiths and engravers use them. It is the first thing i put on my head when i go in the shop. Don't use it all the time so i just flip it up and leave it on my head. Back in my younger days i probably could have seen a gnat @#$%/!! and my work was just a little bit better..........dick

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »
I have two pair of optivisors that I have been using with my computer glasses that I wear for all close work.  However,  I recently got a pair of reading lens made by an local optometrist who actually grinds his own lens to fit the frames.     I did that because I wanted some lens for a pair of 18th C silver frames that I got a deal on (had to do some major reconstruction) and the frames were too small for progressive lens.    I have to tell you that I have never had a pair of glasses that let me see so clearly close up.   Using these glasses, I won't need the optivisor for most gun work.   Supposedly,  these are the same prescription as the $30 reading glasses I got at the drug store, but there is NO comparison.   The gist of all of this is,  try a pair of prescription quality reading glasses made by a local optometrist.    Of course the lens did cost me $174 which is more than an Optivisor.   

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:02 AM »
I have two pair of the optivisors. one for real close work and one for regular distance. They work well over the top of my progressive lens glasses. I hate getting old. Bob

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »
...and lost on the bench right in front of me.

That's never happened to me but, then, I'm lying. :o)

It happened just yesterday actually, looked and looked for those darn visors, retraced my steps, checked where normally I hang them three or four times... Finally, eureka! There they were, right on the bench top within hands reach. Gremlin's I tell'ya.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »
I have two optivisors, both around two power but one also has a swing aside loup that magnifies the two power up to I think four power.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:45 AM »
If you wear glasses, check out Opticaid.  It's essentially an optivisor lens that is adapted to clip on to glasses.

I have a couple different powers that I attach to progressive glasses.  Essentially no added weight, and they flip up or down with ease

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:55 AM »
I am like a lot of folks here.  I have two sets of optovisiors.  I have been using one pair for ever (30 yers or so I think) and can't do work without them.  I got another pair two years ago simply because I wanted to have a pair that would allow me to see a bit further from my work.  I still haven't gotten use to them and have continued to use the old par that focuses in at 14 inches from my work.  I can't be comfortable without using them while building.
                                                                                               Roger Sells

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
I ordered some Optivisor a year or so ago, thought I ordered a 5 but a 7 came in the mail. I have to get pretty close to my work to get it things in focus but man, can I see what I am doing, didn't know I was so blind. These things really changed the quality of my gun building.

sweed

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »
Thanks for the info. 10-4 on gettn' old. :o Broke down and spent $75.00 for the optivisor, loupue, shipping and lights. ::) Can't get enough light! Please don't tell me I could have saved $20.00 here or there :'( They say it only hurts for a little while, but.... ;D

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
You're going to love it. especially the lights. Just be sure to shut them off when you don't need them. They just love to eat batteries.

Offline Rich

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »
A have a couple of visors. The optivisor works great but I also have a cheap visor from Harbor Freight that I actually like better at times. You should try the thing out in the store to see what works for you.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »
If you wear glasses, check out Opticaid.  It's essentially an optivisor lens that is adapted to clip on to glasses.

I have a couple different powers that I attach to progressive glasses.  Essentially no added weight, and they flip up or down with ease

Jeff

Jeff, can you tell me what they are called or give me a link. I can't find what you are talking about on their site. Thanks
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
Hank,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.  Been away from computer.
The ones I have are the Opticaid wire clip-on type as shown in the link that Randall posted.
FYI I have them of some older style glasses with aviator shaped lenses.  They might not fit as well with some of today's thin lens shapes.

Thanks Randall

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:50 AM »
If you can'y find your optivisor it's probably on your head flipped up. Spent 5  minutes finding mine a number of times.

sweed

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
Thanks for the advise shortbarrel. I currently can't find mine caus its still in transit> ::) To be delivered tomorrow. I broke down my antique S&W for some sear work and found that I defiantly need to   w a i t   for my new vision to arrive. Now I'm lookin for some young nimble fingers!!!!! ;D Anybody got a bead on that? ???

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
Try some of these --cheap
http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Repair-Magnifier-Loupe-Glasses/dp/B007YBEHIO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1366379531&sr=8-12&keywords=dual+eyewear

Or if like so many our age you have contributed significantly to your Dentist's retirement fund.. ...ask him if he has an old pair of these around... http://www.loupedirect.com/combo.html

Mine are fantastic

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

sweed

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »
 ;) Thanks Dr. Tim. Got the Optivisor w/ lites and Monocular. Not only can I see, I   L O O K  like a real gun geek!  I ordered those cheep goggles

also.   :o    At that price, if they don't help my vision I can always use them, and some of my dental picks to repel the great grand kids from my workspace!!   ;D

Thanks to all who helped me thru this milestone in life. I'm sure it won't be the last.  :(  I'm still looking for those young nimble fingers....? ::)

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
Thank you Jeff and Randall.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell