Author Topic: First timer rifle shoppe 1769 short land pattern kit assembly where do I start?  (Read 7091 times)

kgill

I now have the rifle shoppe 1769 Short Land Pattern (Second Model) kit.

No instructions come with the kit

I have the breech plug soldered an all underlings soldered as well

The lock is assembled

I have inlet black and basic rasps and wood chisels on hand

Do I fit the barrel first?

The lock?

Any help is appreciated

Kgill
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:16:26 PM by kgill »

Offline Long Ears

You really need to purchase some books and videos. Its pretty tough to explain every step on the internet. There are several books available and well worth the investment. Read each one twice before you start. Like how did you know where to put the lugs? Are the lock parts hardened and tempered? Good luck, Bob

Offline elk killer

breech plug  soldered.. ???  ???
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline alex e.

"parts set" is a more accurate description. You need to do some research before you proceed if you want you end product to resemble anything.I am also concerned about the "soldered" BP.

Regards ,Alex E.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
Start with this tutorial.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23449.0

I didn't have $30 to drop on a book or video when I was a freshman in college and tried to build my first gun.  You might not either.  This tutorial is a start.  You'll see why you need more research if you oare asking where do you start.  If you do have the money get  Chuck Dixon's book.

kgill

Thank you to all who took the time to respond.

I understand your points and agree.

I had the Rifle Shoppe install the lugs, breech plug, and they provided an assembled lock that has been hardened. I assumed since they offer the services they know what they are doing.

as far as locations of the underlugs I assumed RS installed in the correct positions and I have to fine fit to stock and the back and forth needed to locate pin holes in stock. If not I will undo their work and do it right, but complain about not being warned off. I was trying to get as advanced a kit as i could without buykng a fully assembled piece, put the metal work part in their hands, and concentrate on the furniture fit and finish on my end.

I assumed the breech plug was soldered in but dont know and should not have said so. Again, putting faith in the RS knowledge about this to do it correctly. If not, said complaint #2.

I am going to order a few books today, already have a few booklets by Kit Ravenshear.

I understand it is no small task and didnt think I would get a step by step tutorial to my question, but my stock was inleted, and I understand the importance of their alignment to each other for the final product. My post was short and terse, what I was wondering about is more complicated than I could have expected to have answered clearly; each model presents its unique needs.

Ill read and get back to you all. nd thanks!
Keith

Don Tripp

Some DVDs to go along with those books is a good idea. Check out American Pioneer Video. Their kit building DVD with Ron Ehlert and the pistol building DVD with Mike Miller would go along way towards explaining the "hows" and "whys."

kgill

"parts set" is a more accurate description. You need to do some research before you proceed if you want you end product to resemble anything.I am also concerned about the "soldered" BP.

Regards ,Alex E.

Thanks. I agree. I understood this when I ordered the "project"  ;D

Offline pathfinder

I have built a number of TRS gun's,mostly Bess's,and with the work you already had done,the rest is a breeze! The book from TOW on the King's musket would be my recommendation for this project. The hard stuff was done for you!

Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

Track of the Wolf has a special for today only-Peter Alexander's book "the Gunsmith of Glenville county" and a mainspring vice.  For one price, you get both items-two items which you will find indispensable .

Offline elk killer

maybe state where your from,,
might be some one close to you thats
has been there done that
only flintlocks remain interesting..

kgill

Chicago

Offline pathfinder

kgill

Well, if your making a crack about gun laws here like most do, I have to say I don't need a permit to carry this beast, hard to conceal this one!

Not exactly the heart of black powder country either.

Haha

Offline pathfinder

Not exactly the heart of black powder country either.

Haha

That's what I mean! Lot's of places worse!

How's the gun comming? I'm out of town and brought the Brown Bess book fr track with me. That is the book you need. All the "fitting" has already been done!

Offline Darrin McDonal

Are you actually in Chicago or Chicagoland. I am in Channahon near Joliet.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Darrin McDonal

I hear ya Pathfinder. I would love to relocate.
DMc
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks