Author Topic: improveing a GPR  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Duane Harshaw

improveing a GPR
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
I am puutting a GPR are togeather,I would like to change the shape of the stock in some places.I guess I need to get advise on to go about it ,what tool to use etc.dors anyone have pictures,GPR improvement.I know I am asking a lot..thx  duane
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: improveing a GPR
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:43:38 AM »
Hi Duane,

Welcome to ALR.  I've never reworked a GPR, but I did do a CVA Kentucky make-over that was a lot of fun.  Here's a post of another member's rework of a GPR....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19171.0

As far as tools for reworking the stock, I would think some flat and round files and rasps.  The Nicholson 4 in 1 is a handy file, rasp combo, available at most big box home improvement stores.  Sandpaper or scrapers, stain, finish and elbow grease.  Have fun.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline RichG

Re: improveing a GPR
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
I've built/rebuilt a couple of gpr's. About the only thing that has to be done is file off about 1/2 the thickness of the cheek piece. Beyond that it's all cosmetic. All you'll need is a couple of bastard and smooth cut files and sand paper. If you refit any parts that are inletted poorly and bed them with epoxy you're finished gun will look much better. You can also file a molding around the cheek piece witch looks good. When finishing the wood you'll need to fill the pore in the wood or it will take forever for you're finish to fill in. Done right it will look and function most satisfactory.