Author Topic: Workbench Question  (Read 3491 times)

Rick G.

Workbench Question
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:33 AM »
When I moved from Brooklyn to here, my old workbench didn't make the trip. I've been looking at the Sjobergs workbenches that Woodcraft sells. Has anyone any information or advice about them? They seem like an extravagance, but what the heck.... Its on my old lady! I made her a pink AR, so she wants to get me something nice ;D 

cunninmp

Re: Workbench Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:49:54 AM »
I have one of them and they are great. Mine has 2 vices I use all the time.
A little on the expensive side but worth it.
I sanded mine down and applied Tung Oil to it.
Great for working on guns.
Mike C.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »
If it is a joiners bench that you need, then I say hand your wife a pen to sign the check.   However,  if you need a gun stockers bench, then that is a different matter.   I have a bench for stocking, one for lock work and such, and one for heavy metal work.   I am also in the process of building a Nicholson bench for joinery.    They are all different and made from 2x construction lumber and plywood.    The joiners bench will be the most expensive at a little less than $200 worth of materials.   The main reason it is more expensive is that it will be free standing and needs very thick tops and aprons for the hold fasts.   The others were well less than $100 with one side attaching to the wall studs with lag screws.   I wouldn't spend a $1000 on a bench unless it really does suit your needs.      You can build a very sturdy and functional bench for not much money and in less than a day.     Something you build, you can drill all the holes in it you want to mount vises, supports, lights, tools, etc... without worry.   I don't think I would be very comfortable drilling holes in an expensive Swedish bench.

Just my two cents worth.

Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:19 AM »
Sjoberg benches are only fair joiners/cabinetmakers benches. I have one that I bought about 25 years ago as a light bench for home. It's just okay for the light and infrequent use I make of it. It's a lousy bench for gun work--too small, too light, wrong vises. That said, Sjoberg makes several bemches, and you might find one to your liking. However, you can do better if cabinetmaking and furniture making are your sport. I have a large, heavy, and shop-made bench where I (still) work making furniture. I have a heavy shop-made bench at home for gun work, among other tasks. Actually, I have 4 benches at home for different sorts of tasks.

I would recommend reading this article, even if you need to sign up for the 14-day free trial to do it. You could also get your hands on Fine WoodWorking #188 and read it on paper.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/article/ready-made-workbenches.aspx

Fine WoodWorking has a large-format paperback devoted to workbenches. You might want to read that as well. Take a look at these roubo style benches.

http://www.google.com/search?q=roubo+workbench&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-ZeAUefPBKScjAKl9IHwAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672

One of these days I promise I'll make myself a heavy primitive one with no vises, just using holdfasts.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Rick G.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
I did notice that the benches did not look very robust. Thinking about it, I think I'll build one like my old one. There is a Chambers kit I've had my eye on, so I think I;ll go with that. Thanks, fellas.............

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
My very sturdy bench is screwed to the floor and wall....at times very  "heavy handed". It's got 2 vises ..one on each end. The main vise is a  4-1/2" Starrett and the light duty is one of those swivel vises{Grizzly} which I'regret buying....poor quality, but it had smooth jaws for hinge making. To the left of the Starrett is a support that extends nearly to the wall and also extends out from the bench a couple of feet.  These extensions allow the main vise to be swiveled according to the work and still rest the rifle on a support.  To the right of the Starrett is another support but this one isn't as long and is temporary.

Thought of building a free standing gun building stand, but never did.....Fred