Author Topic: Engraving a barrel  (Read 3277 times)

Offline trentOH

Engraving a barrel
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
The now-locked thread in Over The Back Fence about "No King But Jesus" got me to wondering.......
If you were to engrave a quote, sentence, or even a name on the top flat of a barrel, is there a preference for it to read from muzzle toward the breech, or from breech toward the muzzle? And does it matter if the gun is designed as right or left hand?

Offline PPatch

Re: Engraving a barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »
To my mind if you have a right handed gun the text would be from muzzle to breech, if left, otherwise. In any case most would be able to figure out how it reads so....

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
" When this you see-remember me " is what I like to put on my children's guns so when I am gone, hopefully they and any grandchildren, will know I was thinking of them.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
I think it depends on who the message is directed too. If the shooter is the message designate and right hand shooter, I would put the message reading muzzle to breech.

If the message is to the viewer or non shooter then go breech to muzzle.

Offline kutter

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:12:19 PM »
The vast majority of rifles & shotguns (cartridge arms) will have their bbl address reading from the muzzle toward the breech.
Include in that inscriptions and owners names.
This goes back to early sporting guns in the 1800's

The one exception that runs contrary and fairly consistantly opposite is many English long guns.
Not uncommon at all for the bbl address, retailers markings or inscription on bbl to run from the breech forward. No rules set in stone of course.
Even on other parts on cartridge arms like the trigger guards and bolt covers, they will often put markings in what many would consider the 'wrong' direction.

Some German/Austrian bbls will go so far as to put lettering running from muzzle towards the breech on any flat, even over on the right side of the bbl. Makes for easy reading for the right handed shooter holding his/her firearm. But it looks a bit odd when the gun is just hanging on the wall and you view the right side and see lettering upside-down on the bbl.

There's no set rules for either of course. What ever you feel looks best and what you prefer.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:31:12 AM »
No examples of sayings engraved on the flats of longrifle barrels immediately come to mind, but signatures are found running either direction.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 03:41:35 AM »
I started signing my barrels breech to muzzle, and won't change now, no matter if it's right or wrong.  i think the concept came to me by studying the original rifles in Kindig's and Shumway's reference material.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.