Author Topic: Jeweler's saw blades  (Read 3767 times)

DFHicks

Jeweler's saw blades
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
I am getting closer to the patchbox stage of my rifle project.  I have the saw frame but no blades since it's been quite a while since I used it.  The suppliers offer a large number of sizes of these blades.  I will be using 1/16" brass for the lid and filial and slightly thinner (.043 I think) for the side plates.  What blades do you all recommend?

Also thanks to everyone for the answers to my questions on engraving.  Although I am not yet very good, I am confident that I can do the simple pattern I have drawn for this PB.  Without your information and advice I would still be lost in the tall weeds.
Regards,
DF

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Jeweler's saw blades
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
John Robbins

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
Another option that you can try is metal cutting blades in a coping saw. These blades are waaaayyyy tougher than jewlers saw blades. You will still need the jewlers blades for the real tight curves, but most of it you can cut out with these blades in a coping saw without raising you blood pressure too much. Be sure to put some wax or crisco on them while cutting.

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-540-7550-Coping-Blades/dp/B0012XNAWO

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:35:08 AM »
Jewelers saw blades... broke three today. Working on some thin brass plate for an inlay. After the third and a couple of other things that happened today (dropped a parting chisel on its point for one, concrete) I had the thought "If I was an apprentice working in a gunshop in 1760 they would have tared and feathered me by now..."

dave
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:46:38 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

boman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »

heres a chart w/ recommended blade size for sheet in far right column.  1/16 is approx. 14ga B&S---.043 is approx 17gauge.

http://www.contenti.com/resources/library/sawblades.pdf

Steve

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
I use #1 piercing blades for anything from .05 to 1/8th. Great for 1/16th (.062).

JB2

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »
lots of great info in this thread.  Timely too.

Dave, they wouldn't do that to you, just put you on sharpening duty for a week.  you'd be seeing dull chisels in your sleep!

Offline gusd

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
I use #2 for most brass.
Gus

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
Make sure you buy good German or Swiss blades and buy the ones designed to cut steel.   The ones designed for non-ferrous metals wear out quickly even on brass.    I forget the name of the ones I use.  I think, Antelope, or something like that.  I bought like a 100 of them the last time and probably won't reorder for a long time.   I probably don't used more then 3 on a rifle.   I actually use a hacksaw and course files for most of my patchbox shaping.   It is a lot quicker.   The jewelers saw is generally reserved for cutting screws and the slots in the barrel tenons.   Of course, you do need a jewelers saw for piercings.

DFHicks

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 03:18:12 AM »
Thanks for all the good information.  The thread from JTR was very good as well as the recommendation for the coping saw blades.
Regards,
DF