Author Topic: Horn Nose Cap?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Horn Nose Cap?
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:01 AM »
Any ideas on how to do a wrap style (open ended at muzzle) horn nose cap? I had a friend without internet pose this ? by phone today.  He has had a few failures and wondered if anyone knew how they were done traditionally.
James

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Horn Nose Cap?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »
I have done one and had a real hard time getting the horn soft enough boiling in water but then tried cooking oil and it worked alot better for me.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:34:01 AM »
He tried both and so far has found the microwave to work best  ;D but is not satisfied as of yet. I think the quick action of the oil surprised him and he ended up with a potato chip.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »
The critical temp for horn with oil is 320 degrees if you go higher than that it cooks the horn. I use a heat gun to heat the horn s when I  fit the plugs in my powder horns. I have a Jaeger that will need a horn cap and will plan on using my heat gun to get it up to temperature for forming. There is a tutorial on solid horn end cap application that I remember running across the other day. Here is the link. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5068.0
Dave Blaisdell