Author Topic: Non-Verner "Verner" update  (Read 5025 times)

bashermax

Non-Verner "Verner" update
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
I got blasted last time for calling this a Verner, when I am CLEARLY NOT copying a Verner piece.  But for a lack of a better way to describe it, that is the STOCK pattern I started with and I copied a BUCKS CO./Verner sideplate.  Green Mtn 0.50cal Barrel and Siler Percussion Lock (Just my shooting preference... I hope to build a flint one day)  Nose cap is poured pewter

The stain is J.E. Moser's water based Aniline dye (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)  one coat of Red Walnut (Brings out the "tiger stripe") and one of Honduran Brown Mahogany to increase the red tint.  Oil finish is a self concocted "Danish Oil" made of 3 parts Tung, 2 parts Linseed, 1 part each of Teak oil, Turpentine and Japan drier.  These early coats I wanted "thinned down" a bit to increase penetration of the oils to build a DEEP finish.  Later coats will probably be straight Tung oil, hand rubbed

Hope to assemble NEXT weekend and test fire.  Hope it doesn't blow up.  Sheet silver pieces are Sterling.  Flat bezel wire is .999 fine silver inlay.  I pre-shaped the silver sheet  inlays and soldered them to Brass sheet underneath to be able to save cost, but have enough "meat" on the inlay.  Moon inlay is "blind pinned" by soldering the nails through holes in the brass, then soldering the Silver sheet stock over the brass (Pre-drill your holes in the stock first!!)

Patch box button was MAP torch forged and works pretty good.  Not a traditional hidden button, but fairly easy to install and reliable.  My first build of something this complex.  I see PLENTY of room for improvement, but not sure how many guns I need to build... I can only shoot one at a time!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:50:09 PM by aka tallbear »

bashermax

Re: Non-Verner "Verner" update
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »

bashermax

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »

bashermax

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
I applaud your creativity. ;)

bashermax

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »
I took a stack of Muzzleblast Magazines and Pete Alexanders Gun's of Grenville Co. both given to me by my 2nd oldest brother Brian, and tried to compromise on the elements I liked from different guns.  Profoundly influenced by Mark Silver's work.  (Mine's just not near as NICE as his stuff.)  Wish I had a week to spend following him around and picking up "tricks".   

I'm one of those "Dangerous people" who're too STUPID to know that they can't do something, so there are no roadblocks to getting it done.  Luckily I'm smart enough and artistic enough to not paint myself into too many corners on most projects.  Having to make my own tools and other elements made this a LOOONG build. (5 Months)  Kudos to Pecatonnica River Rifles for the "starter" package

R.D.Metcalf

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
I  really  like  the  nose  cap  and  overlay  on  the  patchbox 8)

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
That's a right pert rifle gun. I would have liked it better without the wire work.
That's just me and no  offence intended.   Bob Reader

bashermax

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »
None Taken.  Once I started putting in Wire... it was hard to stop.  I guess its either none, or go all the way with it!  I'm pretty pleased with the finish. 

Never used the Aniline dyes before, but I'll be using them from now on.  Mix with Hot water, agitate and let sit over night and filter any sediment.  you can thin as needed and cleans up with water!.  Nice thing is the grains of dye are 100xs smaller than oil base so the color really gets in the wood deep AND doesn't dull the grain of the wood.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
Nice rifle.  I would file the edges of the buttplate thinner. Also, it looks a bit like your tools could stand more sharpening on the next one. Maybe it's just the photographs/lighting  of the carving . Think razor !   

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:17 AM »
Basher.......I am happy to see that you called it a "Non Verner".   I can't think of anything that you could do to it to make it
better, except, maybe a striped ram rod...........Don

bashermax

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:16:47 AM »
Ramrod IS striped (One of the first things I did)!  I did the barrel in a faux Damascus.  This was accomplished by using a fine paint brush to "wiggle" concentric lines in random pattern down the length of the barrel and then lightly steel wool and go back with a wash of barrel brown evenly.  The result is a brown barrel, but with subtle mottled lines underneath (Really only seen when the light hits it just right.)  I'll try to throw some pics up when I get it all together.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:17 AM »
except, maybe a striped ram rod...........Don

;D

John
John Robbins

pushboater

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:06 AM »
Nice to see someone else thinking outside the box.  It's always a lot more fun when you can build something original to your own design. And by the way, a person can never have too many Longrifles!