Author Topic: Mule ear  (Read 2182 times)

Lutes

Mule ear
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:22 AM »
I am fixing to make a back action mule ear lock for a gun I am starting. I was wondering if anyone has a picture or plans to one. I have one picture of the internal parts of one I was going to modify for my needs but I always like to look at others people's thoughts and ideals. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Offline frogwalking

Re: Mule ear
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »
I made a coil spring mule ear lock when I was a teenager.  It worked, but I never put it on a rifle.  I had earlier make a coil spring back action lock that worked just fine on a halfstock rifle.  (That was before I ever saw a TC coil spring lock.)  I lost track of the mule ear through years, Vietnam, a divorce, and other stuff.  A year or so ago my daughter gave me an old jar she had saved from my exwife's house, with some old
junk in it, including most of the mule ear lock.  I used to make the tumblers out of high-strength bolt heads. (Travesty, I now know, but in those days, we had little money, and a lot of time.)  I am still not great at making flat springs.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

pushboater

Re: Mule ear
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
Do a search for "Mule Ear" by Pushboater.  The January 1990 issue of Muzzle Blasts, (if you can beg borrow or steal a copy), has a good article with drawings and a good description of the build. Nice looking external mainspring Lock too.

Capt. David