Author Topic: feather in the toe..????  (Read 6397 times)

Offline elk killer

feather in the toe..????
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
how do you keep a feather in the toe of the stock?..i can drill a hole,,but how did they make it stay in there...???
im not talking about horizontal,,but having the feather sticking out?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: feather in the toe..????
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »
I assume you are talking about something like this ..

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=dupree

If so, the quill of the feather will go into the stock until it compresses part of the vane.  The vane will hold pressure on the feather keeping it in place. 

It doesn't need to be very deep because the feather is small.  Most ventholes are only 1/16" to 5/64 and the feather's quill has to fit into that to work.  Find a feather the proper size and drill a test hole in a scrap of wood.  !/2' to 3/4" should be about right. 

Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:38:42 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

titanicslim

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
Even though I'll probably regret asking, is there some kind soul who could explain this to me?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
Even though I'll probably regret asking, is there some kind soul who could explain this to me?

Thanks,
Dave

Well, now that you've broken the ice, Ill chime in too.  Is there some symbolism that this feather represents?  Maybe it tells you the direction of the wind?  Is it strictly decorative or is it a holding place for the feather so that it can later be used to plug the flash hole when storing a charged barrel over night?  Inquiring minds need to know... ;D

Ez

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »

My hunting rifle vent hole drilled to 5/64".  I may lose a little accuracy being that large but that sucker goes off everytime.  The down side is, when loading it will self prime (3F) unless the vent hole is plugged.  A feather works very well for this and is easily replaced if lost.  As you stated it also is a very convenient way to plug the hole overnight or in damp conditions.  I don't think the feather is symbolic of anything other than it is easier than making and keeping up with a vent pick and the woods are full of free replacements.
Ken

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:46:00 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

hyltoto

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »
I remember in one of the reference books, maybe Kindig's, there is mention of a mysterious inlay found on the bottom of many stocks, and the picture was a a small brass inlay shaped like a flower with a hole drilled in the center of it. I think we know what is was used for now. A feather is also very use full for determining wind direction as well as plugging the vent hole.

altankhan

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:19:03 AM »
I've also heard somewhere that loading with a feather in creates a small entry channel for the flame into the main charge, supposedly improving ignition. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:40 AM »
It may or may not mean anything to you but:

It is against the law to possess any part of a songbird.  The only exceptions are English sparrows and starlings.  That includes a single feather for which a conservation officer could bust you.  They often show up at trade fairs and rendezvous looking for illegal skins and animal parts.

However, you can use any huntable game bird or domestic fowl.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
i just wanted to use it mainly for looks on a poor boy rifle im building,,but it could serve as a touch hole plug and or a pick,,,
i could just never understand how it stayed in the stock
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
What about Crow? I have a million of them around town, would anyone miss one if it went missing?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

D Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
In Ohio crow are legal game almost year round. Friday - Sunday.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »
My one Kentucky Kentucky rifle, by Sanford P. Poole, has a nice little brass tube, kinda like a miniature r-rod thimble, under the cheek for to keep the feather. I believe I have also seen just two little staples under the cheek piece for the same purpose.

altankhan

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:41 AM »
to get back to the original question about why the feather doesn't fall out-- I just pulled the feather out of the hole in one of my poor boy flintlocks that I copied off the remains of an original Penn./Ohio  poor boy (or whatever folk term was current in the region where it was made and used) -- I recall drilling the hole with a 1/16th in. bit in a wobbly old hand drill -- the hole is 9/16 inch deep --  and the quill (pheasant)  fits quite tight-- I believe what holds the feather in is a combination of the depth and width of the hole and the size and dimensions of the feather -- so the trick is to drill the hole deep enough and find a feather that doesn't fall out! I recall using my feather as a loading plug when I was regularly shooting the gun some years ago -- the feather hole in the original is actually a bit wider at the mouth and slightly oblong -- which may indicate hard use  or wear (not much left of the gun) -or poor tools - it is partially caked with ancient mud and I have never cleaned it to see how deep it is

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:45 AM »
I have used a feather to plug the vent when I clean the barrel and when I am in camp and have emptied the pan but not the barrel - reminds me its still loaded and as a vent pick.  As far as an officer of the law taking exception - I guess some people don't have anything else to do.  Think I'd move.  I think I always used turkey feathers as there are always a lot around after shooting one.