Author Topic: First Pistol  (Read 7491 times)

Little Brother

First Pistol
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »
Hey Folks,

I suppose I'll introduce myself first. My name is Ben and I've been lurkin' around here for quite a while now, just not a frequent poster, as you can see.  About three years ago I got bit by the bug real bad, so I put together a rifle kit from Track of the Wolf.  As I tend to do, I jumped around doing other hobbies until that same bug bit me again.  I really wanted to do a gun from a blank, but I couldn't afford rifle parts at the time(college), so I figured a pistol would do the trick.  Finished this up about a year ago I guess. 

I picked up all the parts at Dixon's.  L&R John Bailes Lock, Red Maple Blank, 13/16 Green Mountain Barrel and Brass furniture. 

I shined the lock up, I wouldn't say its polished, but shiney.  I also filed a real slight swamp in the barrel.  Made the muzzle cap, side plate, trigger and trigger plate, front site and thumb piece inlay.

Basically I would just like some thoughts, and don't worry about steppin on my toes, it is what it is.  When I look at it, here's what I see.  The trigger guard is not right, the rear of the bow (directly behind the trigger) is not close enough to the trigger plate, makes it look funny.  The second would be the lock panels.  They are too wide around the lock.  This happened because of inexperience.  The bottom profile of the Bailes lock is curved.  Had I brought the edge of the lock panel closer to the lock itself, well, I just didn't like the way it would have looked.  Overall, I'm happy with it.  I just kinda drew it out on the blank and started cuttin'.

My apologies for the terrible pictures, its my first time.

Lastly, a big Thanks to this site and everyone who's a part.

Little Brother

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
Re: First Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:55:30 AM »
All I can say is KEEP AT IT!  Nice job on the pistol.  You obviously have the "knack" for it.  Welcome to the forum.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:26 AM »
Hi Ben, and welcome to the best forum of it's kind on the net!  But if you've been around for a while you already know that...

I like it!  Guys with more knowledge of pistols will be able to comment better than I, but I think you got a lot right.  From what I can see, your overall workmanship looks really good.  Nice lines, wood to metal fit etc...  To me, that's the hard part.  The things you pointed out come with knowledge and study of the weapons to get the little things right.  I'd love to see some pics of the carving...   Like Brian said, "keep at it" and nice job!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:44:31 AM »
L.B.
For the first go round your doin good. Alot of folks say leave your first gun alone when someone says "You could improve it by doing this or doing that". I regretted doing a bunch of after the fact modifications to my first rifle and should have left well enough alone. With that being said. The good news is the trigger guard is and easy fix if you want to shorten up your trigger just alittle. You would need to remove the trigger  and rebend the trigger guard to where the spur is where you want it then inlet the extra length you will have from doing this. You will need to pug that old screw hole but its new location sould move down about a quarter of an inch or better by doing this. The great thing about that trigger guard is it should be dead soft and is easy to bend.  The thrigger can be shortened by rolling up the scroll using a propane torch and tapping the existing scroll. If you go too far then you can back up the scroll to get your length back once you have the trigger the correct length cut off the extra bit of scroll or just leave it. I am always amaised at how small the pistols trigger guards are on the originals I have held.
Keep at it though your first project is miles ahead of mine.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:07 AM »
LB,

That's a nice piece of work.  You be proud of it!

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »
A fine looking piece.  I think you did a great job on it and should be plenty proud.  Whats the next project?  I know you have been bitten by the bug. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

billd

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:54:30 AM »
Little Brother,  Nice job on the pistol!!!!!   Where are you from?  I'm around Wilkes-Barre

Bill

Offline RobertS

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »
I agree, that is very respectable work, and something that you should be proud of!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  I too, would be interested in seeing more of the tang carving, by the way.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:15 AM »
Really a nice job. You're right on your own evaluation, but I don't think you will be embarassed by carrying this in your belt if you become a very talented gunmaker years from now.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »
Whether it's your first or your fifth, you've done a very nice job.  Changing these castings to better improve architecture comes with experience, and you're already getting it.  I'll be anxious to see more of your work.
Thank you for showing us.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:12:15 AM »
Taylor, I can't believe you're up at night past me even given the time diffeence.. Just finishing my second Manhattan. Got a bunch of Crown Royal Select from my kids for Xmas.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »
Just sip it Bill.  And the night is very young here.  Just finished a glass of Amarula...low on Appleton's!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
Looks to me like you did a fine job!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

lew wetzel

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
yes indeed,a dandy of a pistol ya got there......and its good that you see  where you could improve on your own.you have the eye and now the itch,welcome to the fraternity!!!!

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
You should be very proud!!!! Hang it & shoot it with much satisfaction! Ha and you are noticing two things about this craft. 1) they can be quite tough to photograph nicely and 2) the enjoyment and challenge of fabricating some or all of the parts. I am sure everybody will agree, there is always another level one can advance to in order to keep it fresh & challenging.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Little Brother

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
Well thanks Fellas, I'm glad you like it.

Here's a very fuzzy picture of the tang carving.  I cannot take credit for the layout and design of the carving as it is very similar to tang carvings found on Gary Brumfield's creations.  I must say I feel a bit ashamed for blatantly copying Mr. Brumfield's carving.  I hope he considers imitation to be the greatest form of flattery!

Thanks again for the suggestions and words of encouragement. 

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »
Beautiful pistol!!! I'm working on a similar project with the same lock, but I'm using a 12", 15/16", 50 cal, Green mountain barrel. It's my first build so I've made a couple of practice stocks out of box wood. I've got the same problem with the lock panels and the curved lockplate on the L&R Bailes lock. If you curve the lockpanel to follow the lock plate, it messes up the flow of the lines through the grip area. It would have been easier with a straight lockplate.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Best regards

Rolfkt