Author Topic: Olde Eynsford @ 100 yards 58 Hawken  (Read 4752 times)

frontier gander

Olde Eynsford @ 100 yards 58 Hawken
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »
Now the last time I went out, I had a bad group, I had changed nipples out as well as mixed my olive oil - beeswax patch lube to thick and ran out of round patches so i settled for square hand cut patches.

Today I installed the original nipple that came with the barrel, went to a .020" patch lubed with Moose Milk I bought from the local Rendezvous "AWESOME STUFF!" And took the 58 Hawken out to 100 yards.

The patch lube Moose Milk is just fantastic! I soaked my patches, squeezed them out and they leave a very thin coat of lube thats just silky smooth on your fingers and when you reload on a fouled bore, Its like loading on a clean barrel, Extremely impressed with this stuff! Will buy another bottle on Wednesday when i go back to the Rendezvous for the buffalo roast.

My first 2 shots at 100 yards, lowest is #2. Not sure what happened on that one.

If you though THAT was good for 2 shots, Lets add shot #3 to the picture.

Was it the nipple causing my problems earlier? Was is the patch lube? Was it fixed by me using Acraglass on the trigger inlet for solid contact and hopefully to keep the tang screw from loosening up? Who knows. I will just have to change out the main deal for me and that is installing the new nipple and trying again.

Right now I am just blown away and have a very sore throat from screaming my guts out when I looked through the binos and saw this group!

nosrettap1958

Re: Olde Eynsford @ 100 yards 58 Hawken
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Excellent group at a 100 yards!!!  I think your rifle is telling you that it really likes what you're feeding it.

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
Is that one of those T/C's with the barrels that "won't shoot past 50 yards" :)?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:04 AM »
Good load but that's excellent shooting on your part.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

frontier gander

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:06:55 AM »
Is that one of those T/C's with the barrels that "won't shoot past 50 yards" :)?

Nope, thats one of those Douglas barrels from Deer Creek that I mounted onto a CVA Hawken stock!

dagner

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »
  check  the guys for dutch schultz lube receipts . you know what you paid for a small bottle .well couple shots of water solubile cuting  oil- a shot of pine sole- 1/2 gallon     of water and you now have moose milk .you now have 1/2 gallon for 3 bucks.  the guys use it for lube and cleaning both.  hope it helps you out
dag

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Oh, it’s a Douglas barrel.  You better treat that rifle of yours extra special Gander. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:56:05 PM by crawdad »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Yea those Douglas barrels are shooters have 4 on MLs one on custom .22 target pistol and 3 CF bolt guns. Had another ML back in early 80s. ALL are great shooters.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

nosrettap1958

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Without a doubt I think Gander just showed everyone how good a Douglas barrel can be.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:29:14 PM by crawdad »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
Gander;

In my experience with patch lubes, I have never had much luck with bees wax as a lube ingredient. I tried it years ago as a way of keeping the tallow in my poorboy from running out, and down the butt of the gun. I alway wound up with more negatives than positives using it.
  A friend had a beautiful custom Hawkens that plugged up so badly using bees wax as a major ingredient in his lube, that we had to remove the breech plug, and dig the stuff out of the flash channel with a torch tip cleaner.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »
FGander - good shooting - especially with open sights.  I'm a firm believer in that when you change any of the components, even in a modern gun, rifle handgun or shotgun, you must generally modify or adjust the load to regain it's previous shooting qualities. Change just one thing and sometimes previous victories disappear.

It appears that current load REALLY likes that moose milk lube for target shooting.  It may or may not shoot that well with any different lube, only shooting will tell.
One thing I learned about nipples, is that unlike men, they all are not created equal. My big rifle will not shoot accurately with a hot-shot nipple with the little hole in the side, however it loves the cheap steel or stainless steel 1/4"X28 nipples that Track sells.

Further, the larger the bore, the less finicky they seem to be about the load and the components used.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V