Author Topic: Screw Heads  (Read 3504 times)

Offline whitebear

Screw Heads
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:44:32 AM »
I ordered a pin and screw set for a longrifle from Track the other day and the wood screw heads were all flat heads.  Is this the normal screw head shape for butplate screws, and other wood screws used in rifle making.  The reason that I am asking is that whenever I have ordered wood screws before, mostly from DGW they have been dome headed.  I have never noticed, or payed much attention to wood screws being flat head.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

eddillon

Re: Screw Heads
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:42:55 AM »
I have ordered oval head screws for buttplates from TOTW in the past.  Flat head are OK if they are indexed before thy are contoured to the shape of the buttplate.  Make sure that the screws are over-sized before contouring.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
I like the oval heads, because you can file them to the contour of the buttplate. Re-cut the slot deeper if needed.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »
I vote also for the dome head screws on the butt plate, flat head would be OK for other areas as final sanding would contour them to fit the stock shape.  Also some rifle styles look better with dome shaped screw heads on other inlays too. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »
An electric drill and a file will make them any shape you want.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »
This is true but it also reduces the head diameter when you contour it from flat to dome. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
Thanks for all the replies I have some things that I am going to send back for credit so I'll just send them back and order domed heads.  They are the same price.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

necchi

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:22:06 AM »
Keep the screws, they might come in handy as un-plated are hard to come by at any hardware store,
The screws are cheap, order a bunch of mixed size an shape,,, again they're nice to have on hand.