Author Topic: Green Mountain swamped barrels  (Read 6982 times)

Offline doulos

Green Mountain swamped barrels
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
I dont think these are being produced anymore. But there are still some floating around.  Are these good shooters? I have  a straight GM that is very accurate. Why weren't they more popular?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:21:28 PM by doulos »

Offline hortonstn

Re: Green Mountain swamped barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »
they are great i've had several hate to see them quit... it is my understanding they will continue the straight barrels
paul

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
I have used several GM barrels of both kinds and all were great shooters. The only annoying thing I find with them is all or most were drilled for 5/8" deep breech plugs and I would prefer 1/2" deep.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
I'm currently building a Bucks County style rifle using a GM swamped barrel, but that's the only GM swamped barrel I have.  I've also had a number of guns with GM straight barrels and have always found them to be good shooters.  If you look at their website you'll see that they've also discontinued a number of their straight octagon barrels as well.  I don't know if that's just reflecting a current production run or a permanent change.  However it seems there are few calibers and sizes now available as compared to the past.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

necchi

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:14:27 AM »
Why weren't they more popular?
They are and have been popular for a long time,
The issue is that for nearly a decade Green Mountain has chosen to focus primarily on a different market.
They (GM) are doing well as a business and continue to flourish. There is little wrong with their muzzle loading specialty barrels now or in the past.
Like many large companies they have had management changes and modified their business approach.

It's simple business, they do well and are making more money serving the larger CF barrel market.
(period)

Now, I'll share a personal thought.
GM has served me well in the past with new and replacement barrels,,
They have chosen to abandon production of the items I need to support my hobby/passion, and that was a raw business decision by who ever or what ever is running that company.
Because of that, I'll be !@*%&@ if I'll ever spend another single cent buying another new GM barrel or one that will in any way support GM.
Don't get me wrong, If I find one that I need in good condition from a private party or one that been lost in a warehouse for years,, I'll grab it.
But if they ever start production again,,   Well there ain't a snowball's chance in :-\  :-X :-X, they'll ever get my money again!!
John   

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:36:39 AM »
Well necchi if they ever do revert to muzzleloading barrel production I believe I would give them a go if I needed one of their products because they have a great reputation. You've taken a hard line sir, but that is your privilege and I take it as it is.

dp

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

necchi

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:07 AM »
Yup, your right, it is a hard line.

There are too many independent and very reputable barrel makers still serving this niche  market,, and my moneys will go to those hard working men and women instead of a corporate conglomerate that sold me out to feed the CEO for chump change.

Again, don't get me wrong,, they had me at affordable and accessible, but they have chosen to forgo that by their own making

oldarcher

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
Hi Necchi,
I am in agreement with you, GM barrels are OK, I built a few very acceptable shooters with them and am sure that the steel used in their barrels is very good, but...I always choose a small private maker, their are so many fine small semi custom barrel makers that practice their craft with care and diligence that deserve our support. I wish GM well with their management decisions but I will support our friends rather than a corporate entity any day.

doug.brayman

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »
I have a 38" swamped Green Mountain in a rifle I built 12 years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I would pit it against any barrel out there.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:12:53 AM by doug.brayman »

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »
GM could probably make enough barrels in a couple of weeks to swamp the ML'er market and probably also price them low enough to put everyone else out of business, if they were inclined to do something like that.  As it was, if they made a big run, everyone whined about how they were stomping on the "artisans"; if they didn't make enough, everyone complained about how they were ignoring our little niche; then there were others who just assumed (and publicly declared) that mass produced, "cheap" barrels couldn't possibly equal more expensive custom ones, despite obvious state of the art production capabilities.  The decision not to make any more swamped barrels was most likely either charity towards smaller ML barrel makers or exasperation with ML'ers, who seem impossible to please no matter what is done.  Other market segments are larger and less moody.

I think the first result will be an increase in pricing from the other makers and reduced supply relative to demand.  I am sad to see a good option (the only "mass-produced" barrel not made of 12L14 -- no matter what you think, 1137 is good to have as an option, esp. at a comparable price) disappear but can't blame them for getting out.  I will still consider them for any straight barrels I need if they make one that is appropriate for something I'm working on.  Of the dozen or so GM barrels I've had some experience with (mine and others' barrels), none had any accuracy problems; in fact they are consistently quite good if loaded right (I would like a little faster twist in some of them, but that is pretty negligible).

In conclusion I doubt the decision was motivated entirely by profit, lack of commitment to MLing or lack of demand for the product.  It was most likely in order to support MLing the way MLing seems to want to be supported.  I doubt that if profit were the main motive in this decision they would continue to make straight ML'er barrels, either, as they almost certainly make a lower margin on them than other products.

necchi

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
I don't think it's that complicated at all.
They landed a sweet Government contract, and that was that.
With the current high demand and "shortage" of centerfire rifle parts it's a no brainer business move to follow the money.

They didn't stop making swamped ML rifle barrels, they stopped all production of ML barrels

BIGMAN

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/local-news/90854-right-on-target-green-mountain-rifle-barrel-takes-aim-at-doubling-job-force

Article tells you what is going on.

"Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Company will up its production schedule to 24 hours a day, seven days a week beginning July 9 and plans to double its work force by adding 80 to 100 jobs, according to vice president/general manager Rick Sanborn and human resources director Kerry Smith."

Looks like they just plain have too much to do. Success is a good thing, I am happy for them.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »
a corporation that makes decisions based upon anything other than the bottom line, is either:

a. still family/founder controlled or
b. not long for the world of biz. 

second-gen corporations (once the founder/family has sold out) have no soul, don't ever give them the satisfaction of emotional involvement.  save that for people.  we are the generation seeing every brand name (who can remember when name brands tended to mean something) watered down to absolute nothingness.  every product computer de-engineered to warranty period service life...oh wait i'm digressing.

Plenty of sources for BBLS yet.  They will only remain in business if we support them.
Hold to the Wind