Author Topic: Aqua Fortis question  (Read 1990 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Aqua Fortis question
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
Almost three years ago I put a whole lot of rusty things into some cider vinegar. it's been cooking ever since.
  Now, If I understand correctly, in order for it to react, heat needs to be used.
  My question is this.
  Do you use heat while it's wet? or do your let it dry first?
   As I said this has been cooking for three years, and I don't see any changes.

Rich

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Aqua Fortis question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:53:22 PM »
What you have made is vinegaroon. Aquafortis is made from iron and nitric acid. Both color the wood by evaporating and leaving the iron ions behind. Aquafortis has to be heated due to the high evaporation temperature. Vinegar evaporates at room temperature, therefor no heating needed. Just wait 24 hours. I stain these pistols with vinegaroon and I'm happy with the results.

Your stain is probably a saturated iron solution that will give a black/brown stain. To get red tones you have to dilute it with vinegar and let it rest a few days. Diluting weakens the stain and you have to apply more coats to get color. I used 5-6 coats on these pistols. The first coat will turn the stock blue/grey. Don't panic. The next couple of coats will turn it a brown with reddish tones.

Vinegaroon is easy to make, safe to use. I going to use it on the long barreled pistols I am working on.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:55:37 PM by Rolf »

LURCHWV@BJS

Re: Aqua Fortis question
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:23:44 AM »
Thanks Rolf, and those pistols are sweet.

Rich