Author Topic: Lock Bolster/Rear of Pan Question  (Read 5106 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Lock Bolster/Rear of Pan Question
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
I just got in this lock. It has a little chunk out of the bolster where the rear of the pan butts to the barrel side. I have included some pictures and would like advice as to what I need to do about this, if anything. Can I file down the back of the pan, keeping with the profile of the pan to eliminate the area or do I need to have it replaced? Thanks, James

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Lock Bolster/Rear of Pan Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
If you have good, complete contact with the barrel it wont hurt anything. If it were mine I would deepen the pan and eliminate it altogether, I like to polish the pan mirror bright.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
Deepen it. You will eliminate the flaw, and you will probably like the performance as well.
I deepen and broaden the pan on almost all the Silers I use.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »
I like the suggestion of deepening it about as well as any.  I polished and altered a Siler pan for a smoothbore.  The biggest problem you will get is a poor contact between barrel and lock as that permits leakage into the mechanism which would not occur here.    Another alternative if you wanted would be to fill it in with a tin solder and fit it.  You might try tinning the whole inside of the pan with braze such that you have a "brass" lined pan which has been done.  Some of the higher temp Silver solders would likely work also.  If you did nothing, that wouls also work well.

DP

don getz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:14:31 AM »
It's not a siler.  Looks like the pan of a Late Ketland lock, but not sure.  If you're worried about it, you could grind most of
it away by deepending the pan, using a dremel tool, or you could also fill the void with solder......or you could do nothing,
won't hurt anything........Don

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:45 AM »
Looks like you have a bronze/brass plate Virginia lock from Chambers (the mainspring gives it away).  First, I'm sure Chambers would swap with you no questions asked, so maybe give them a call. 

With that said, with that lock or the small queen anne, I prefer to deepen the pan there anyway.  It gives a little more flexibility with the touch hole location.  If you don't want to deepen it, a high temp silver braze will fill the void nicely.  I used a brass color braze to fill some voids on the French pistol guard and they're more or less invisible now.  The repairs tarnished a little darker actually. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I think I am going to work down the back of that pan and remove the imperfection altogether.
James