Author Topic: L&R Thompson Center Replacement Lock  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Bill-52

L&R Thompson Center Replacement Lock
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
A friend of mine wants to replace the flint lock on his Thompson Center rifle with the L&R Thompson Replacement flint lock. Several questions:

Does anyone here have experience with this L&R Replacement lock in terms of quality and reliability?  And how easy or difficult is the finishing and tuning of the L&R Replacement Lock?  My friend does not have any rifle building experience though he is a long time black powder muzzleloader shooter.  If this replacement is the kind of thing best done by someone with experience, can you recommend someone who can finish and tune the L&R Replacement lock?

Many thanks,
Bill

Offline rlm

Re: L&R Thompson Center Replacement Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
I'm no gunsmith and did one. The lock comes pretty much ready to install. I left mine brown finish naturally. Quality is pretty darn good, sparks like the dickens, fast and reliable.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »
I've put in a couple of those in the past.  Neither was a direct drop in to the TC lock mortise but they are very simple to install.  A little, and I mean only a little, work on the tight spots in mortise with an exacto knife or small chisel will allow the lock to set right in.  Of course this makes for some very small gaps around other places in the mortise.  If that bothers you, you can fix that with a little bedding compound tinted to match the TC wood color.  It makes a very nice improvement over the TC flintlock.   

L&R Locks are well made locks and their service is good.  I had a frizzen spring break on one of mine the day before leaving for a hunt.  I called them and they sent a new one to me that UPS delivered to me at the hunt camp the day I arrived.   
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
rlm & m36,

Many thanks for the feedback.  Very helpful and much appreciated.

Bill