Author Topic: advice on simple trigger  (Read 4948 times)

jim m

advice on simple trigger
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »
in the process of installing my first simple trigger. have it pinned and am slowly filing top of trigger bar to adjust contact with sear. It will now stay in half cock  but not full cock. also in half cock you cant,t bump it out of half cock but can by pulling on the trigger. haven't done this before so before I go any further what say ye men of experience. ps it is a chambers large siler
thanks
Jim

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: advice on simple trigger
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »
in the process of installing my first simple trigger. have it pinned and am slowly filing top of trigger bar to adjust contact with sear. It will now stay in half cock  but not full cock. also in half cock you cant,t bump it out of half cock but can by pulling on the trigger. haven't done this before so before I go any further what say ye men of experience. ps it is a chambers large siler
thanks
Jim
First thought is - Have you checked with the lock out to verify that the sear enters the half draw notch or is it held up by casting flash or whatever!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:46 AM »
I'd bet the sear arm is binding in it's hole and so the sear is not engaging the half cock notch fully when the lock is in the stock.  It can be hard to see the inletting black down in that sear arm hole.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »
Another thing to check is the sear positioning at rest,  half cock and full cock.  When using a single trigger you must make sure the sear location is the same for all three positions.  If not then you will end up with a trigger that rattles by the time you clearance it for the half cock notch. 
I just set my trigger intomu Tulle fusil de chasse this evening.  I spent a good couple of hours diamond filing the tumbler a couple of weeks ago to get a one position sear.  The trigger is installed and it is just kissing the sear at rest and at half cock with the slightest amout of clearance at full cock.  A lot of work but well worth it in the end.
DMR 

northmn

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
You can also take a trick from the earlier doubles and install a light spring to keep the trigger lifted to make contact with the sear.  I used to straighten a ball point spring pin.  Attach one end to the plate and drill a hole in the trigger to attach the other.  Some use a light leaf and install under the trigger.  It eliminates any slack and can save you a lot of finish filing.

DP

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »
The problem is very simple, your trigger bar is still too high.  The trigger is all the way forward and will let the sear down far enough to engage on the edge of the half cock notch but not go into the recess.  At that depth it won't engage the full cock notch.  Take a couple light swipes off the trigger bar with your file and put it back in and see how it's doing.  You should be able to get it so that it fully engages the full cock notch and has no movement.

Tom

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:30:26 PM »
Remove the trigger, and then see if you can get to full cock.  If you can’t, then something is binding in the inletting.  If it goes to full cock, then you need to file down the trigger bar.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »
thanks
Jim

It likely needs more removal of metal from the trigger unless wood bound.
You do not want this to be a tight fit. There must be adequate "slack" for everything to work or you will have an unsafe firearm. First and foremost the  lock MUST work PERFECTLY every time. The slightest malfunction in the trigger/sear/tumbler must be investigated and corrected. If the trigger bears on the sear even slightly with the gun level there is the risk that the sear will not fully enter the notch and this can be the cause of locks falling off half cock.
I watched an owner of a cheap repro come within inches of blowing his head off this way once.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

jim m

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
thanks for the replies. a little more metal off the top of trigger bar and half cock works great. now to full cock. goes into full cock and there is just a . amount of play in the trigger. but with just a light tap on the back of the cock it will fire. so I removed the lock and with lock out of stock and in full cock it will fire with just a jar to the lock without touching the sear. so I'm thinking the sear and full cock notch isn't quite right. I have disassembled and checked for dirt or burs and everything looks good. I'm not experienced enough to start grinding or filing on the lock internals so I think I will contact the manufacturer