Author Topic: Which Kit?  (Read 11757 times)

jamesthomas

Re: Which Kit?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
I saw a reference some where, can't quite remember where, about a guy that would carve up a blank you had.  Perhaps, one of you fine gentleman can rescue this feeble memory....

It's a four hour drive to Williamsburg -- I'll give it a flying leap as see where I land up  :)

-- Peter

Pecatonica River Longrifles will carve your wood for you, its a $100.00 to carve a customers wood.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
If you plan on hunting with this smoothy, keep in mind local hunting laws that may specify minimal gauges for hunting some species of bird.

Kentucky and Indiana require no less than 20 ga on modern and ML shotguns for turkey.
Psalms 144

30coupe

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 02:42:49 AM »
If you plan on hunting with this smoothy, keep in mind local hunting laws that may specify minimal gauges for hunting some species of bird.

Kentucky and Indiana require no less than 20 ga on modern and ML shotguns for turkey.

Add Iowa to that list as well, though I seriously doubt the OP will be hunting here.  ::)

Offline whitebear

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »

I haven't seriously hunted for several years but when I did Georgia did not have a minimum gauge for turkeys.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

nchunter

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »
Forgot to ask whether there is someone from the greater Charlotte area I could split the ride up to the CAL show...??? Anyone?

I'm not up for a trip to Williamsburg, but I do live in Charlotte and I put together a 20 gauge smoothbore from a Chambers kit 4 years ago. The stock was a precarve, and there were problems with it (over-sized inlets), but I glued wood in the gaps and it came out okay. I'm working on a rifle kit from Dunlap right now, which I like better.  It's not as "precarved" as my Chambers kit. Based on my experience, I would second the opinions that others have voiced about doing your own inletting. PM me if you want to get together. We have a Blackpowder club nearby that you ought to check out next month.

I've managed to get a deer every year with the smoothbore!  I finished it 4 years ago.