Author Topic: 16 Bore pistol build  (Read 4254 times)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
16 Bore pistol build
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:30 PM »
Military type 16 Bore pistol. 10" tapered round bbl. L&R "RPL" lock with pointed tail. Walnut stock. Brass/steel  trim.  2-1/2 lb. Take a look & comments always gladly taken.  click on pic to see her come together...Tom

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:50:38 PM by gunmaker »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: 16 Bore pistol build
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »
What is the forend cap made of?

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »
Hi Gunmaker,
Looks like great workmanship.  However, with the camera lens close to the butt cap, it is hard to get a true size and proportion view of your work.  How about a couple of side views?  I looked at the photobucket pix and still can't get a true view.
Cheers,
Ed

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
End cap is black horn.  The pistol is 16" nose to tail.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »
Tom,

A very nicely done pistol, thanks for the "in process" photo documentation.  Something to consider is trying to get the tail of the gunlock more toward the wrist center, at least that is a bit more pleasing to my eyes.  Here is a photo of a newly made pistol from about the same time period, 9' barrel 0.565 bore, see how the stock is shaped to put the tail of the gunlock at the wrist center.  Thanks again for you nice work on the pistol.

Jim

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
Tom,
How is the horn nose cap attached?
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Glenn

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:23:08 AM »
Great job.  Beautiful work.  I like the horn nose cap.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments & kind words.  The nose cap is held on with 2 small nails-1/2 in cap, 1/2 in wood, the joint is glued with Acra-Glas.  I glue on the cap while still a block of horn squared, then shape after set-up.  The pistol is at an angle in pic. the lock IS about 1/8" higher than wrist center line. Really a fat breech on this bbl. & to get vent correct, there she was....I'll keep trying...Tom

BPRICHARD

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:18:09 AM »
Great looking pistol.  I really enjoyed viewing your "PHOTO-BUCKET" tutorial on construction.  What type of stain and finish materials did you use ?  GOOD JOB! 
                                                         DICK

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »
No stain, sealed with a clear coat of sanding sealer & so far 10 coats of tung oil.     ....Tom

Offline davebozell

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
I agree with the comment on the Photobucket "tutorial".  I enjoy seeing how a "pile"of parts gets turned into a work of art.  In case you're wondering how to get to it, just click on the photo.  Once in Photobucket, you can scroll through all of his photos.  With some text added, these pictures would be great n the tutorial section.