Author Topic: My new Chambers kit just arrived  (Read 3627 times)

Blacktail

My new Chambers kit just arrived
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:24:30 AM »
I just received my next project, a .58 caliber English sporting rifle kit from Barbie.  I had the butt and side plate inlets ommitted because I want to simplify things, and frankly trying those on my second gun would be biting off more than I can chew. I plan on reshaping the buttplate tang and triggerguard a bit to simplify things. At this point, I don't plan on doing any carving, other than some simple stuff on the patchbox. I just want to focus on getting the basic architecture correct (something I should've focused on with my first gun) and end up with a plain hunting gun. Everything looks great, and the barrel just nestles in without any fuss. My chisels are sharp, here we go! Hopefully this pic goes though.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:27:39 AM by Blacktail »

omark

Re: My new Chambers kit just arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:36:58 AM »
good luck and have fun. im sure youll enjoy it. :)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »
I've got one that I've started and had to put aside for a couple of other projects.

Guess I need to get it back on the bench.

In His grip,

Dane

Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:42:04 AM »
Smallpatch, did you go with the standard wood, or upgrade? I went with the standard and was very pleased with what I got. There's not enough figure to make it fancy of course, but enough to keep it interesting and distinctive. From what I understand, english walnut is a joy to work with, does anyone have any input on that>

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:01:14 AM »
Blacktail,

Actually, I got a bargain piece of wood, nice figure but has some worm holes and mineral stains.  I'm thinking of making an antiqued piece, leave the worm holes, etc. 

I've got another Type G that I'm working on.  Mike Brooks design.  NICE piece of English Walnut.  Very fine grained, beautiful piece that I just can't wait to get started on.
In His grip,

Dane