Author Topic: New Pistol Plans  (Read 3198 times)

Bentflint

New Pistol Plans
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
These are the preliminary drawings for my nephew's next gun. I'm sure the scale will be adjusted later but at this point I think I can fit all the parts together. Designed to be the smaller half of a rifle / pistol set, the .40 smooth rifle is getting close to finished (future topic).

I know I need to shorten the tang 3/4" or more and being the carving with it.

What do you think?

Bruce Everhart
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:55:37 PM by Bentflint »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: New Pistol Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Bruce, your drawing is nice and crisp and easy to follow.  Apart from the changes you have already mentioned, I think it'll make into a nice little pistol.  Certainly contemporary.

PS:  i haven't done anything with the barrel I got from you yet, but I'm now down to only one pistol, so my mind is starting to work.  Frightening.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
I'd like it a bit better if the lock was a bit shorter.  That lock just looks too massive to my eye.  Something about 4 1/4" long.

Tom

Offline Benedict

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I am not very familiar with that style of pistol but one of the things that struck me was that the butt seemed small in proportion to the lock area.  Maybe that is the proportions on the drawing or maybe that is the way it is supposed to be but that is the impression that I got looking at the picture. 

I agree with shortening the tang.  Maybe just shorten the tang and move the carving back but not add more carving.

Again, that is just my thought and impressions from looking at the drawing.

Bruce

Bentflint

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:05:03 AM »
My nephew likes the lock to be a little on the large side and I do too. It makes the whole gun look a little more dainty. The long gun that goes with this pistol is .40 A weight 44” and uses a Virginia lock. I'm sure the grip will be a little bigger when finished but, not much. He has small hands and you know what they say, “small hands, small pistol”. The Queen Anne and Colonial Virginia are my favorite locks but, I don't think Jim going to make a third size any time soon.

Ever try to build a gun when the lock and the barrel are the same length?

I told him this pistol was going to look like something Yosemite Sam might shoot except when the little flag pops out that says “BANG”, every now and then it might say “CLATCH”.

I shortened the in the drawing moved the carving with it, looks much better. This pistol just ain't big enough for a rifle size tang.

It's defiantly a contemporary gun or better put contemporary cartoon Gun. It will be cute anyhow. I wanted to do it with brass furniture but he wants it match the long gun.

Here's a picture of it with the (rusty) barrel and lock.

Taylor, I saw a picture posted by you or your brother a while back of a pistol with an octagon to round .54 barrel. I I thought that might be the barrel you got from me. I guess I’m still waiting to see what you will do with it.

Bruce Everhart