Author Topic: Accoutrements Chains  (Read 9144 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Accoutrements Chains
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
I have searched with google and can not find what I am looking for.
 Where can a person find the chains that have a button hook that you see most with Pick/Brush sets.
 Surely someone sells these chains for attaching accountements to should strap or to a hunting bag. Thanks if you can help.
iloco

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: Accoutrements Chains
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
look for musket brush and pick...GGGodwin.com sells them as well as most other sutlers that supply Rev War stuff... http://www.gggodwin.com/ProdList.asp?scat=74

If you want to make your own all it is... is about a 2 inch piece of wire bent into a U shape connecting the chains.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:43:32 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline iloco

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
look for musket brush and pick...GGGodwin.com sells them as well as most other sutlers that supply Rev War stuff... http://www.gggodwin.com/ProdList.asp?scat=74

If you want to make your own all it is... is about a 2 inch piece of wire bent into a U shape connecting the chains.

Thanks for the link.

I am not looking for the Pick/Brush sets.  It is the chains and the piece that is bent to go around a ring or button on a shooting bag. 
iloco

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »
 If you have a Lowes nearby they sell this chain over by the rope and chain. It is plated but you can burn that off, left side of pic. Each link is about 3/8", this piece is about 16" long.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:04:25 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline iloco

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
Tim that will work.  Next time I am near Lowes I will have a look.
 I have some powder measures I need a chain for hanging on hunting bag.
iloco

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
iloco; Good afternoon Sir, If you look on E-bay for Grandfather or Coco clock chain, used to hang the timing weights on, you will find all sorts of chain designs and sizes. Great prices will be found. Also the entire chain set comes, several sets of powder measures, brush sets can be made at one time. I have used this type chain on many sets, over the years.  Good luck. AJ 
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline iloco

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
Thanks AJ.  I will have a look for the clock chains.
iloco

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »
Back when I was working I made a chain out of silver solder.  One link at a time, but I was on the clock.  ;D 
Brice Stultz

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
Lowes doesn't have that big a selection of chain and such.   We have an independent Ace Hardware affiliated hardware store in my area that carries a much greater selection of chain, cable, rope and such.   You might have a independent hardware store in your area that has a larger selection.   I buy small jack chain from them for my brush and pick sets.   I burn off the zinc in my forge and then proceed to tumble and shake the chain in a tin can to knock off the scale.   Jack chain is period correct.   So,  make sure you get jack chain and not one of the welded link chains. 

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »
I made mine out of wire. I used copper plated steel wire. I made up several sets last winter and used them for blanket prizes, traded and gave them away. Nice winter evening project. I made some little horsehair brushes and forged some little copper picks for the other end. Round nose jewelry pliers makes it easier. I made them with the long links like I've seen on originals. I rolled little brass tubes out of thin stock and formed a cap out of brass in a hardwood jig (like making a tiny bottle cap). I soft soldered it together. I looped a piece of copper wire around a hank of horsehair and drew it up into the tube with the wire extending out a hole in the cap. then formed a loop on the other end. I soldered all my links shut, probably not necessary, but I know they wont open up if I snag it on something. I need to make up some more.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 05:16:30 AM »
Joann's fabrics also has silver plated chain, sometimes its steel, other times its aluminum.  You just have to take a magnet with you to make sure you get the right stuff.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:18:07 AM by Luke MacGillie »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
I remove plating from chain and other plated steel hardware by submerging it in hardware store muriatic acid in yogurt/cottage cheese type containers. (Rinse thoroughly and dry.) Do this outside--stinky. Use eye protection, of course.

I blacken it with cold blue and oil it with Ballistol.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Artificer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:44 AM »
Lowes doesn't have that big a selection of chain and such.   We have an independent Ace Hardware affiliated hardware store in my area that carries a much greater selection of chain, cable, rope and such.   You might have a independent hardware store in your area that has a larger selection.   I buy small jack chain from them for my brush and pick sets.   I burn off the zinc in my forge and then proceed to tumble and shake the chain in a tin can to knock off the scale.   Jack chain is period correct.   So,  make sure you get jack chain and not one of the welded link chains. 

Glad to have this confirmation of what I had thought.  Thank you! 

Though it would be an extremely labor intensive project and certainly not commercially viable, perhaps one could hand make such chain from Iron Wire?
Gus

Offline iloco

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
This has been a very useful thread for me.
 Now that I know what type of chain to look for I have another question.

Where do you get the brass wire to make the part that a pick and brush combination hooks to that will go around a ring or button on a bag strap.  You proably know the piece I am talking about.
iloco

Offline Habu

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 03:30:52 AM »
Brazing rod from the local hardware store.

Offline iloco

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 04:50:30 AM »
Thanks Habu.  I will get some tomorrow when I am in town. 
iloco

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »
I have made jack chain from iron wire.    I couldn't tell you which was handmade and which was store bought once I removed the zinc from the hardware store chain.   I think the chain on my Early Va outfit is handmade, but I don't know for sure.    I REALLY can't tell.

Glad to have this confirmation of what I had thought.  Thank you! 

Though it would be an extremely labor intensive project and certainly not commercially viable, perhaps one could hand make such chain from Iron Wire?
Gus

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
 Chain is crazy easy to make. a rod with the O.D. that corresponds to the I.D. of the chain you want to make, with a hole across one end, and a electric drill, and a hacksaw are all you need. Stick the rod in the drill with the hole on the exposed end, stick the end of the wire you intend to make the chain links from through the hole and pull the trigger. After you have wound the wire on the rod, cut it lengthwise, and dump off a pile of links. hook them all together, and pinch them with some small pliers and you have hand made chain. Silver, brass, or copper, can be hammered with a rawhide hammer to work harden it after it is pinched closed.

Hungry Horse

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »
Rio Grande has Sterling wire with a solder core. Good for making custom chain.

If you use FINE silver, you don't need solder or flux, the ends of each link can be fused with the right torch and heat.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:37:05 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

rickevans

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
 Jack chain is period correct.

What does Jack Chain look like?

Smoketown

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »

Wikipedia

A jack chain is a type of chain made of thin wire, with figure-eight-shaped links, and loops at right angles to each other. Jack chains are often used to suspend ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack+Chain&rlz=1C1CHNU_enUS396&oq=j&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i61j69i59j69i61j69i65l2&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Some call it 'twist(ed) link chain'.

Cheers,
Smoketown