Author Topic: Shooting in the Banana Belt  (Read 6569 times)

doug

Shooting in the Banana Belt
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:22:12 AM »
      This morning was our monthly trail walk out here in the banana belt.  We could only shoot about 1/2 of the targets because the rest were hibernating below ground as in the rat spinner was now a gopher in its nest :>)

cheers Doug

famouseagle

Re: Shooting in the Banana Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:17:45 AM »
And where might this be?

doug

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:46:16 AM »
And where might this be?

We are shooting in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island in BC.  Much warmer and much less snow that up nort where Daryl and Taylor live, not to mention northern Alberta and Cody  :>)

cheers Doug

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »
Yeaah...not to mention Cody.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:46:44 AM »
I won't mention Cody if you don't.  Great to see the 'shots' Doug.  Hopefully, the temp gun isn't wrong about next weekend- we'll be out in force! - well, maybe if the Force is with us, we'll be out - something like that. tomorrow would be a good day, but is supposed to be somewhere aorund -30 - haven't checked the weather prediction today - it changes once or twice daily. Might be warm enough to shoot - who knows?

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 04:21:11 AM »
Our monthly shoot up at Salmon Arm scheduled for tomorrow was cancelled today because it's too cold for us southern boys!  I'm waiting until at least March myself!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »
  By the way,where is Coty? Buildin igloos?  (-30 this morning)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:27:20 PM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »
-30 is too cold to shoot today for this 'Northern' boy.  Supposed to be some global Weather Change coming in by Wed. and be nice for a week and 1/2.  We'll be shooting next Sunday for sure, maybe Saturday and Monday, Tuesday - etc. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:18:02 PM by Daryl »

bs2

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
When I first read this, I thought you were in the UP...............the western end south is also called the Banana Belt.

Looks like a GREAT Time! ;D

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »
Nice country!
For some strange reason, I always thought Nanimo BC didn't get that much snow.
But then again you guys got a real thumpin' this year.
I wish I could get the ability to post photos.
I like the Hudson Bay blanket coat.
Old Ford
Way down south of Ottawa
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »
Tracy and I along with Heather and Taylor were "way down South of Ottawa" last summer - Tracy and I spend almost a week in Ottawa visiting friends and getting caught up in the security at the Parlament buildings. They didn't like my pipe tamper, a .450 Alaskan round, nor my 'Old Timer' pocket knife - HA!  It was fun - I even filmed a drug transaction taking place outside our apartment & turned the 'pictures over to the Ottawa police - fun, fun.

doug

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
Nice country!
For some strange reason, I always thought Nanimo BC didn't get that much snow.
But then again you guys got a real thumpin' this year.

We don't normally but this year it started snowing on Dec 12 and kept on snowing every day or two until Jan 4.  The temperature has remained below freezing for most of the time and is still freezing.  I feed the wild ducks in the pond in my back yard and it was quite funny this morning watching a duck chasing a piece of grain across the fresh ice :>)      Normally it rains more or less continuously from mid November until March with a few breaks of a few days when it snows.  I suspect we are quite a bit down on total precipitation this year inspite of the snow.
    The only problem I found on the trail is that the circulation in my fingers shuts down at about 45F which made it pretty difficult to load and to shoot I had to sort of bring my finger back until the gun went off --- could not feel the trigger at all.

cheers Doug