Author Topic: Barrel Scraper Size  (Read 3241 times)

greymount

Barrel Scraper Size
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:27 AM »
If I were to purchase  a Gunline Octagon Barrel Bedder (scraper) to inlet a 7/8" barrel in a Dickert pre-carved stock what would be the best size: 7/8",11/16", 13/16", 15/16", 3/4" or 1".  I would think that you would want to be slightly smaller than 7/8".  Is this correct?

keweenaw

Re: Barrel Scraper Size
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »
Correct, smaller than the minimum size of the barrel.  3/4 will probably be ok. You'll want to cut a half round channel with a gouge to start and will probably do better on the vertical edges with a wide chisel for most of the wood removal in that area.

Offline Dave B

Re: Barrel Scraper Size
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »
Greymount,
I would be inclined to get a couple of them. One just under the size of the barrel so the 11/16 is good then what ever is just under the slimist portion like Snyder was saying. These scrapers are darn handy and you will find your self using them again and again. I picked up some of the old planes you find in the antique stores and ground the blades to make them serviceable for cutting barrel channels. They work great. I will occasionally pull out the steel to use as a scraper when needed.

Dave Blaisdell