Author Topic: Building my first: A Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54cal Flintlock  (Read 39195 times)

BigJ

Re: Building my first: A Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54cal Flintlock
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
The gap along the cock side of the gun is zero; the tang sits nicely right up against the wood.  However on the opposite side, I can fit an xacto blade's tang in between the wood and the gun's tang, the entire length (from the rear screw hole right up to the backside of the breech).

In terms of my willingness to experiment?  I'm very willing.  In terms of my skill level?  I understand concepts and am usually very handy.  But in terms of experience gun building like this?  None.  This is a first, and the techniques you're describing are brand new to me. 

Keep in mind though, this gun is all about the learning experience for me.  I'd rather learn "the right way" of fixing issues like this rather than less desirable ways that play down to my current skill set.  Now's as good a time as any to start good habits and working on long term proper skills. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
That one sound like you need to cut a piece of walnut to fit, glue it in, and then re-inlet, after you reshape the tang.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

BigJ

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
Thanks again Taylor.

Just a quick update:  I spent some time this weekend trying to 'fix' the mortise to lockplate fit issue.  After considering the suggestions made here and made elsewhere, I decided to give a buddy's suggestion a try... Elmer's Walnut colored filler.  (The WD40 acted as the release agent.  Worked great!)

Obviously not finished yet, but I think its going to clean up quite nicely. 

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 03:40:14 AM »
Interesting--the 2 elixers of gunsmithing life,good ol wd40,and elmers wood filler.Looks like a good fill.I will put this one in my book,along with the other hundreds of boo boo fixers.keep at it ,bud.Dave

Offline bgf

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »
RE: that filler.  Did you do a test piece and make sure it will accept whatever stain and finish you intend to use and blend in with the surrounding wood?  I saw something similar done on one, and the filler was obvious after finishing.  If your test piece has a problem, you can probably still work around it, but if it only shows up after finishing, I don't think you'll be happy.