Author Topic: Is beauty only skin deep?  (Read 22042 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Is beauty only skin deep?
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »
good discussion.

I appreciate both Mike Brooks point of view, and James Rogers.

I don't do the intense inlet because I think it's how it was done(I know better). I do it because that's how I work. I also don't do this for a living. If I were in the same situation as Mike Brooks, my inlets would be very different. I would also keep chickens.

I see the gun and leather work that James Rogers does, and appreciate that for the study that he does to make things as historically accurate as possible. This is a huge effort, and a passion. I'd trade some lock inlets for some of that knowledge, James!

Oh, how lucky and cursed is he who has a passion!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:36:56 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »

Please don't try to tell me that I'm wrong, that I don't get pleasure out of the work. Or that nobody ever worked like this, therefore I'm wrong.
 In every other aspect of life, there are rules and regs. In this little corner, it's all mine. I rule.

+1  I agree
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
Personnaly I have stopped doing all work on my current projects to learn finer metal work with the hope that it will make me a better craftsman.   On the note that they didn't do that back in the day while maybe true for some frontier gunsmiths or those making trade guns for quick sale.  There are plenty of examples from the continent that just make me think that I personnaly need to do better than just hogging parts onto a piece of wood. http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100348554&num=2&pic=100201521-2-L.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:06:40 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »
Fact is, you can always find examples to illustrate your position on this inletting thing. There were multiple levels of workmanship, attention to details, in every time period.

So why are you arguing?
Sorry, this isn't the Argument Dept.
Yes it is, I paid five bucks to have an argument!
No you didn't....

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
Fact is, you can always find examples to illustrate your position on this inletting thing. There were multiple levels of workmanship, attention to details, in every time period.

maybe not in the TN School of Left-Handed Hatchetry!*  ;D :o ::)

but i'm not one to argue.  ;)

*sure i'm a student (TNLHH), the one in the corner with a funny hat  ::)...(old timey time out-y)

As to going back to learn more. Heck yeah, gather your inspiration/motivations and learn from it ALL.  I tend to learn from everything i'm exposed to when i'm not distracted by something else at that exact moment.

I bought a Bob Roller lock and trigger set for two main reasons: to have/use fine equipment, AND to see into the mind of Bob Roller just a little bit-to cipher on his application of the wisdom he has collected over the years. (thanks Bob)  

Reading the books, the internet, going to shows, and watching the videos all help, but STANDING at the bench of a seasoned veteran of the Rifle, Long.  THAT'S magic!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:51:36 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
"Times up Tom
. I'll not argue another word."  Are there any of us who use power tools, say a Dremel router, to get those perfectly flat inlets? I have always restricted myself to hand powered tools when it came to the woodworking side of this. Though I guess I will use my bandsaw to cut blanks to profile.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

whetrock

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
Anyone who reads this thread will recognize that David Rase is a fine craftsman. He may approach his work differently than do some of us. But his workmanship is excellent. No one has suggested anything to the contrary.

I understand that there are certain discussions on here that some people may get tired of. But it’s a forum. You can skip stuff if you don’t want to read it. The vast majority of what gets posted is respectful and cooperative. That’s what we all like to see.

I think most of us understand this sort of discussion perfectly well. Some of us are traditionalists. Others are innovators. The traditionalists hold the antiques up as an ideal, including fit and finish, and perhaps even the tool set used in the process. The innovators keep the form of the antiques, but constantly experiment and combine new techniques and processes with old, seeking to improve on areas they consider weak in the work of the old masters. And that can include adopting continental standards that many of us do not consider to have been common in the colonies. (In reality, most of us are a healthy mix, and as Acer suggests, we certainly all have our own concept of “ideal”.)

But here’s an important point: Both perspectives take the antiques as their starting point. And for that reason, many threads will invariably turn to discussions of antiques and ideals based on antiques, including fit, finish, tools, standards, etc. It is inevitable.

I don’t think it is necessary to interpret such discussions as criticism or argument. I think they are an essential part of the equilibrium—the balance. Similar discussions (and even good natured debates) are part of the banter of all craftsmen involved in traditional trades. I suspect that they are an inherent part of any effort to keep old and new alive simultaneously.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 01:59:03 AM »
great job on the inlet. i always make a rifle or pistol with the same finish inside and outside. repaired lots of guns that the boys brought back from ww2 and the inlet on most of these sporting guns was very very good. just can't get away from this when making a long rifle.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
Great work. No sinsult intended whatsoever but I always suspected that some people shine the bottom of their shoes. Now I sure.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
Wade,
In my case you are looking into a badly worn and feeble mind.I do think you may be looking at my lock and triggers to see what is my motivation for doing them as I do.
I've said for years that I can look at someone's work in a crafted item in any medium and tell what this person thinks of themselves and the final owner.A lock I make for myself will probably be slightly substandard but on the other hand,I can fix anything that goes wrong with it in less than an hour. I try to avoid any knwn defects in the items I send out to others.
As for posts on this forum,they are more often than not simply random recollections of things and people that I know and have known such as Bill Large.E.M.Farris and Marshal Ralph Hooker. I enjoy what I do and have several interests such as vintage aircraft and have flown some of them in years past.My love of the Duesenberg automobile is well known and I am considered as an historian on them.
It's almost tomorrow and the bed beckons.

Bob Roller

Offline Captchee

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
 LMAO Jerry ,
  i seem to recal your inletting looking very much the same  LOL .

i sure wish i had more time  these days . i truly miss out talks .
 i hope all is well with you
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:58:05 PM by Captchee »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
..... that some people shine the bottom of their shoes.

Hahahahaa. That's a good one, Jerry.

Offline flehto

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
Whether one inlets to modern perfection or inlets as was done by the "original makers"  who we strive to emulate, in the end  and in this modern era, each does what  satisfies personal whims.....afterall, we who have countless hours of leisure time and  w/ no economic consequences can "afford" to spend countless hours "perfecting perfection".....Fred

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
I'm late to the party but that's absolutely outstanding David.  Whether it's "necessary" or not is irelevant to me.  I just admire the work.  So far beyond my skill level I shouldn't even comment.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"