Author Topic: Peter Berry Sr pics/builds?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Peter Berry Sr pics/builds?
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »
I'm getting more intrigued every time I look at the Peter Berry Sr rifle in "Art and Evolution", anybody built one or have any pics?  Berry's in the archives would seem to be Jr, not Sr.  Interestingly different stock lines on the gun (p24 in the book) although I'm not hot on patchboxes that drop into the lower moulding.

Long way off, several other things in the pipeline, just thinking out loud...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Peter Berry Sr pics/builds?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
I think our Dr. Tim Boone made one a couple years back.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
Hi Osprey, the Peter Berry rifle that was just sold over at the Julia auction last month is a very good example of his work. When it comes to a patch box lay out, Berry's off center finial's are pretty much his signature feature. If you like him enough to duplicate his work, you just have to like his patch box style! :D I am not familiar with your book? "Art And Evolution"  Could you be so kind as to furnish me with information about it?  As to Peter Berry Sr or Jr, I just recently (within the last year or so) learned about the pair being separate gunsmiths. I believe they had very similar styles. Not sure which one made the Julia auction example.  http://www.icollector.com/RELIEF-CARVED-DAUPHIN-COUNTY-RIFLE-SIGNED-BY-Pe-BERRY_i17332349
Joel Hall

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »
http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/#americanlongrifle  Check it out here. It is spectacular and worth every penny.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:47:24 AM »
I actually got a P Berry kit from Jim Klein and the copied carving from several different Berrys... has his signature carving items etc. all over it. It makes a very nice light rifle and is my favorite for carrying through the woods.  His kit is based on a Berry that was owned by Homer Dangler, who actually made the kit. Homer sold his business to Jim some years ago. The quality of the kit is comparable to a Chambers kit.  Very nice and he stands behind everything.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:10:01 AM »
Doc I just did a search for those kits, look like more the Berry Jr (at least that's what the A&E book says, although they don't sound real certain if it was a Jr and Sr or all the same gunsmith, just different dates).  The gun I'm looking at has a real tall, wide, early butt and was a much heavier gun.  Weight for the original is listed at 11 lbs.

I've got at least 3 projects in line after the one I'm working on now, but this gun is calling to me... >:(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:12:17 AM by Osprey »
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
I have not seen a Berry that big... now barrel weight on a 44-48 inch wrought iron barrel might get it close up there... I haven't got the scratch for the A&E book yet so I am not familiar with it. I do know there were father and son.... I think their signatures were different..not sure though.  I believe the earlier guns had shorter nose caps.. about 1-1.25" long.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:59:52 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming