Author Topic: Meet the Hawg - First build complete.  (Read 11803 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Meet the Hawg - First build complete.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »
Dave that turned out really nice....now I am going to have to hide my guns!! Your talent as an artis really comes through!!  OK so its getting to be cold enuf for Micah and me to come up and freeze our tails looking for some deer with you..or at least punching some paper.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

sweed

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
Thats reallllll nice!!  8)  Now that you have a piece of art, you can build yourself a use'in gun.  ;D

sweed

Offline PPatch

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Umm-let's be clear; I believe that's the best first rifle I've seen!  Do you have experience with furniture carving or something similar?  Definitely take that one to Dixon's.

I was a table base maker in a furniture shop in my mid-twenties and had some instruction in carving ball and claw style on hardwoods, mostly cherry and walnut. What I did for this rifle was basically teach myself the baroque/Rococo style, first by drawing, and then practicing on Poplar and some soft maple scrap I found in the shop. It was a pleasant surprise to finally cut into the hard sugar maple which has a great feel (or feedback) and with sharp tools cuts clean and positively and is not stringy grained like the practice woods. I know I have a ways to go before I can use the term woodcarver however. quite a ways. Also, carving on a curved surface is a whole different ballgame than cutting on a flat surface as I soon learned.

dp
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:44:01 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Well, you're well on your way. I like the very clean, low relief style you used.  Nice layout as well.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
There have been some very nice remarks posted about the Hawg and my effort on this rifle - thank you to all who made the time to do so. To answer some of the questions posed in no particular order and not inclusive, here goes:

Yes I know the toe of the buttplate is overly long - It kind of grew on me and aided in protecting the toe plate and stock during the build, I will leave it with the option to file it down if it becomes a nuisance.

Naturally making this gun has been a long learning experience, at times quite frustrating,  mistakes were made, things reworked, sometimes several times over - but I somehow managed to not completely mess it up and was lucky in that respect. Without the resource of this website the result would have been far from pleasing, the Hawg is at least that, to me, pleasing. Reading and looking at pictures can only get you so far, being able to query an experienced builder is where one can come to understand the nuance of matters. The Norris, TN show this last spring was an eye opener, seeing not only originals but contemporary creations moved me further along. A great show. I wish the southeast had more of these opportunities.

I do plan another - currently researching Tennessee mountain rifles. I like the Beal rifles and the Rodger Sells rifle posted on the Blog yesterday is an inspiration for sure. I want to do something from a plank that allows me to concentrate on architecture without fussing with ornate brass work, inlays and carving. Something where the lines of the rifle carry the gun and good architecture is the whole statement. I am thinking .36 or .40 caliber, long and slim, a flintlock.

I named her the Hawg for two reasons - first, she sometimes seemed as mean as an old sow hog with newborn, she drew blood more than once and if she had been a hog would have received a whack across the snout regularly. Second, I was a "Hawg" in another life - that is the term used for those of us who were Morse Interceptor's in the army. we were affectionately (and sometimes not) known as Hawg's because of our habit of leaning over our typewriters sweating out catching every dit and dah as the Morse streamed in. There is more to all of that but I will leave it there.

No Sweed, she won't be a wall hanger - this gunne is going to be shot regularly. I look forward to taking her out to a woods walk next spring. Right now she is shooting great groups at 60yds.

dave

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:29:23 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
Hah, i know Sam's Code as well.  But am amateur...unlike the military, we still use it, some even manually.  Plus a dozen other modes. 

I'm going with a 40 in TN style next.  After I patch up the first one. ::)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »
I feel like I'm late to the party but that is a real fine looking rifle, Dave.  I particularly like your carving behind the cheekpiece.  Very well designed and executed.  Congrats.  Bill

woodburner

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 05:41:57 AM »
Dave, you have a handsome rifle.  Carving, engraving, inlays, a great finish; terrific
total package.   ;)  Tim Feeley 

Smoketown

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »
Beautiful work !!

I especially like the "cap lifter" you incorporated into the toe of the stock.    ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown