Author Topic: Acer on the Blog  (Read 2605 times)

Offline PPatch

Acer on the Blog
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
Tom Curran has a one photo teaser and a bit of text on the Blog today. Come on Tom, inquiring minds want to see more of what you're up to. Very very nice from what I could see...

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

dp

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Acer on the Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
I agree!!! More pictures please!!!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
Golly, fellers, I'm embarrassed, because I'm sooooo slooooow when it comes to building. This gun is coming along, I was originally hoping to have it done a year ago, and then by Lewisburg THIS year, but that ain't a gonna happen.

I'm not trying to be a tease at all. As I build, I document for a number of reasons. One is that I can pull up photos to talk about a technique later on, or discuss how something was built, or even as a memory aid (imagine that?). This one photo just happened to be a beautiful image somehow beyond the objects in the image, maybe the light, the feel of the setting, the tools, the warm muted colors.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
Whatever the reason you took it and posted it, it is a great shot of a very cool process.  I can see the direction I'd take with it, as I'm sure others can too, though I expect it is not the same one you will take.  I'm looking forward to 'the rest of the story (poem)'.  A little at a time is good.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »
Tis indeed a nice photograph and the rifle something else. Looks like your stamping in on the relief carving is a success also. Will that be your technique from now on?

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »
Will that be your technique from now on?

I used to be a big promoter of parting tool carving; and now I've tried stamping. I think it's valuable to know as many techniques as you can, or have capacity to learn, or years left to use them  :D. Oh, man, I'm funny today.  :D

The late Gary Brumfield often corrected me, and had pointed out the value of stabbing. So I think of him now, as I outline my pencil lines with a little stabbing tool.

Stamping is a fabulous technique and I'm very glad I am trying it out. In perspective, I'd say that each gun may use a little of every carving technique I know, this particular project is mostly stabbing with very little parting tool work. Incised cuts will be used on some of the raised flat carved designs.

I'll do up a tutorial about stabbing when I'm done. It won't have anything new in it(wow, shazam!), but lots pictures and descriptions. Good basic stuff.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

DLJ6

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22:08 PM »
Nice picture. Interesting contrast between the carved but unstained wood of the arm against the work stained wood of the bench and tools.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:03:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing with us Tom, it is always a pleasure to see your work.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!