Author Topic: When do you blue/brown a barrel?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
When do you blue/brown a barrel?
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
I just finished mounting the sights on a pistol I'm building. I cold chizeled the  dovetails for the sights and rust blued the barrel before mounting the sights. I hammerd the dovetail lip down on the sight using a brass punch. The barrel finish got a bit mared.

Do you brown/blue the barrel before mounting the rear sight or after?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: When do you blue/brown a barrel?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
I brown after all metal work is done. After the sights have been installed.

on a rifle, when you might want to tap the sight back and forth, brown without the sight in place. If you need to clean the dovetail to get the sight to fit again, it's OK, because the sight base is large enough to cover the entire dovetail.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline satwel

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
I do the same as Acer. I brown the barrel with the rear sight installed and the dovetail for the front sight cut.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
I cut and fit both dovetails first, then brown/blue barrel. Then reinstall sights during final assembly. Make sure during the original fitting that there is a extremely small clearance under the front and rear of the front sight blade. This prevents any marring of the finish on the barrel. Simply tap the front and rear of the sight blade and close the gap. It should have been .005 or less to begin with. BJH
BJH