Author Topic: Lube for flintlocks  (Read 11805 times)

Offline Gene Carrell

Re: Lube for flintlocks
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
I have a tub of Super Lube that I bought a long time ago at a tackle shop for fishing reels. Says it has Teflon in it. Stays where you put it and does not seem to harden over time. The stuff is almost clear. Sure holds up on locks.
Gene

HardBall

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
LB - the container, ie: tub is white - the grease is moly for sure - almost black, but not quite jet black- kind-of a slate-like tinge to it.

I was wrong about the make - it is labeled  "Lyman Super Moly Bore Cream"

Ah yes, black moly grease.  I can't use that stuff- I get it everywhere.  When I'm done using it it looks like a chimpanzee on a caffeine binge found a paintbrush.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
I've always used oils, not grease in locks and actions. I guess I always thought greases thickened in cold weather and slowed things down, maybe just superstition. I had grease in an old pistol once that turned to a sticky, crusty paste and had to be completely disassembled to clean it out.
My latest gun oil is a free sample from Lucas Racing Oil, and it works real nice, but is hard to find. 3in1 is my old standby & I also like Dri-Slide in my modern guns.
I've got some engine assembly lube I might try sometime now and Fogging Oil is long lasting and coats very well too.
Tom C.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
I'm in agreement with Bob in the Woods.  I use bear oil.  As I assemble the lock all of the bearing surfaces get coated with bear oil immediately prior to assembly.  That way everything has a lube and moisture barrier assembled right into the lock.  I have never encountered temperatures cold enough to cause any sluggishness of the lock due to lube stiffening.

Best Regards,

John Cholin