Author Topic: TOW Oil Finish  (Read 2907 times)

Offline frogwalking

TOW Oil Finish
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »
I just bought a bottle of TOW's oil finish for use on a soon-to-be-sanded curley ash stock.  I have no problem in rubbing 20 coats on if this is what it takes.  Has anyone used this stuff?  What is it?  Is it reccomended? 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: TOW Oil Finish
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:06:39 AM »
Frog
I believe that Tracks finish is made using Wahkon Bays old recipe which is a linseed oil based finish.I used it once and while it looks good and is easy to apply it is not very durable. I wore all the finish from the forend in one day hunting in the rain while wearing wool gloves.I have not used it since.

Mitch

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
As with most linseed based oil finishes, you really should seal the stock with something first.  I quick search should turn up many suggestions. 

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »
Flint
I do seal my stock first!!!!!!That doesn't make this top coat any more durable.Of the several finishes that I've used this is the least durable .

Mitch

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »
Flint
I do seal my stock first!!!!!!That doesn't make this top coat any more durable.Of the several finishes that I've used this is the least durable .

Mitch

Mitch, I should have been more clear, or used a "quote" reply in my response.  I was not directly responding to your post, I was responding specifically to the original poster's request for information as to applying a linseed oil based finish.  There have been many posts over the years that deal with applying this type of finish.

Your experiences with this particular finish should be taken to heart, if the OP requires a very durable, weather resistant finish.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:26:04 AM by FlintFan »

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
No worries Flint ;D ;D ;D

Mitch