Author Topic: G. M. Barrels Shipping again  (Read 5289 times)

coutios

G. M. Barrels Shipping again
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:07:59 AM »
   Just returned from an outing at the Log Cabin ... They received a shippment from Green Mountain... New Production..... 

Thought some may want to know....

Regards....Dave

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: G. M. Barrels Shipping again
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:27:34 AM »
Now that IS good news.

Thanks.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Bentflint

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
Are these barrels swamped?

Bruce

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
Not that I saw.....I think they are straight barrels......nice to see them producing again.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Are these barrels swamped?

Bruce

GM Website shows 42"  x 50 caliber swamps but no dimensions for breech, waist or muzzle.

Dan

coutios

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
    From what I remember the two sizes that were delivered were...
.40 cal. 13/16 x 42 long
.45 cal. 7/8 x 42 long.....   

PS... The Cabin also has a nice supply of Rayle and Rice Barrels. I would call for more specifics......

Regards
Dave

necchi

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:12:28 AM »
Yeah, Thanks for the heads up.
I guess that means a step up in ML purchases or at least they think there's a market again.

I have 2 GM barrels and both are fine shooters,
However,
I will probably never buy another GM barrel again in my life unless I find an extraordinary bargain.

They decided (chose) to abandon the ML market for other profitable ventures, we as niche consumers where left high an dry with no more warning than "That's it boy's!".

Because they abandoned me, I will instead save just a little more money and spend it with those barrel makers that have as high or higher standards than GM and have continued to supply our past time with quality barrels for the many projects we pursue.

Green Mountain will not profit from my monies.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:14:09 AM by necchi »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
Necchi:
They use 1137 GB quality for ML barrels.
Here is what I think occurred that caused them to "abandon" you.
From what I have read they had a military contract.
The military, unlike most ML builders, takes barrel steel alloys VERY SERIOUSLY.
If GM had 1137 in the same BUILDING or maybe even the same property, that they were making contract barrels in and it was found by inspectors the entire contract would instantly be null and void, done, over, no payment, nothing. So companies that do military contracts are pretty well "stuck" once they get the contract.
So they can suspend ML barrel production for a year or so and make a LOT of money or they can not bid on and win a military contract and keep making barrels for what is a relatively tiny market. OR they could set up and make ML barrels from 4150. Of course then people would whine because they were hard to file.  The complain enough about 1137 ::)
From a BUSINESS standpoint what would YOU do?
Personally I am glad they are back in production.
Its not like a certain powder maker who years ago told all the ML shooters to shut up and be glad they could buy powder at all since they made (and still do) a LOT of money on military contracts. But of course at that time there was no competition. If the complaints got too loud they threatened lawsuits. Yeah...
So remember there is a big difference between can't and won't.
So cut GM some slack its not like they were telling ML shooter to shut up and take it or leave it.
Dan

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
Thanks Dan, everyone has to pay bills. GM is a good product and I think they will do well if they dont change something in method or materials.

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »
 That's my understanding also Dan, They had a military contract that took up all their time and effort. So they didn't quit making ML on purpose. Now the contract may be at an end and they've started up production of ML Barrels again. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:27:41 AM »
GM's re-entry into the BP market should be welcomed.....w/ their production capabilities the availability from other suppliers should get better.....although I think they're not happy about GM's move. Hopefully, the "straight" bbls are a precursor to their swamped bbl production. In truth,  I never used a GM bbl mainly because they don't install the breechplug....Fred

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:46 AM »
I have used more of their .50 cal  B weight swamped 42, and 38 in barrels than anything else.   Never had one that wouldn't shoot well.  2nd choice was Colerain based on availability and the fact that they offer round bottom rifling.
Back in the day, if you needed a barrel in a hurry, 9 times out of 10 you could find a swamped GM somewhere and at a decent price.  I think that helped get more started in this hobby.  The first few guns I built were all with a straight barrel.
Once I got my hands on a swamped barrel, I was able to see so many of the finer points of architecture that I'd missed.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 04:43:43 AM »
I personally have used quite a few all very good 40 to 54
Keep up the good work gm