Author Topic: Just wonderin"  (Read 2543 times)

JTPotter

Just wonderin"
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
Can you take a rifle that the stock has been finished (aqua fortis, stained and sealed) and carve it?
I'm doing a build that I really wanted to hunt with this year,in January, but I know I cant do the carving in time.
I'm assuming the answer will be to take another rifle and don't rush the present build.
I would think that matching the finish would be darn near impossible, correct?
I know! I should have spent more time with it this fall!
Thanks

Offline PPatch

Re: Just wonderin"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
If you do you would be setting yourself up for a heck of a mess and a lot of work with a very uncertain outcome. Personally I would not take that chance on something I've worked so hard to accomplish. I might take the chance of hunting with it in the white, mabe... depends on what sort of hunting and expected conditions.

Perhaps others will have a solution - crafty bunch here.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
If you do you would be setting yourself up for a heck of a mess and a lot of work with a very uncertain outcome. Personally I would not take that chance on something I've worked so hard to accomplish. I might take the chance of hunting with it in the white, mabe... depends on what sort of hunting and expected conditions.
Finish it in the white. I did that for one a couple of years ago and had no problems. If you are worried about grime/oils getting into the wood shoot a thin coat of lacquer over it, it will be easy to sand off.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
I would use it in the white.  I have done this three times (seasons) in the past and all was OK.  However, I never hunted in the rain!!
                                                                                      Roger Sells

JTPotter

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:23 AM »
Thanks folks, shooting in the white! I like that idea! I'll still take another rifle (finished) in case of inclimate weather.
I'm kinda glad to see others have also been in my position :)
Thanks again