Author Topic: 18th Century Sporting Images with bags or pouches  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Artificer

18th Century Sporting Images with bags or pouches
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »
Ok, here is the longer thread I mentioned concerning sporting images.  The link below shows the portraits.  I will post some comments here relating to powder horns, shot pouches and hunting pouches on some of the portraits:

http://publicpleasuregarden.blogspot.com/2013/06/hunting-fowling-shooting-in-commercial.html

Modified to say - SORRY, I whipped right by this one.  1782, Colonel John Onslow by Ralph Earl - Appears to be "shot snake" on strap over his right shoulder? 

1. 18th century English Woodcut (2nd Black and White Drawing)  -  Shows a powder container on his right hip that may be horn or other material.

2   David Teniers the Younger (1610-1690)   -  Game bag or pouch on right hunter’s left side.

3.  England 1680 John Poulett – Shows fancy pouch or game bag on left side

4.  England 1740 The Shooting Party  -  Center Hunter shown with some thing or things in his belt?

5.  Britain  1749  Windham Quin of Adaire County – Is that a large bag, purse or pouch in his lap?

6.  England 1750 Mr. and Mrs. Andrews by Thomas Gainesborough  -  It’s hard to see in this portrait, but in the enlarged portrait in the link following, you can see a small woven game bag or bag/s attached to his belt
http://everypainterpaintshimself.com/article_images_new/AARR.jpg

7.  England 1752 A Sportsman by Edward Haytley – At least to me, this is kind of exciting as it shows what appears to be his belt and pouch on top of the rock to his left or the right side of the picture.

8.  England 1755 Major John Dade -  Just a glimpse of a pouch and/or maybe gamebag on his left side.

9.  England 1755 The Third Duke of Richmond  - Surprisingly when taking into account the other portraits, the Duke seems almost weighted down with crossbelts and two pouches or game pouches OR is the second one a game animal?

10.  England 1768 Two Gentlemen going shooting by George  Stubbs  (Three  portraits one above the others)  - BOTH Hunters have what appears to be pouches on their right sides, though only the supporting straps can be seen?

11.   England 1779 A sportsman and his son – The son has a strap showing, but perhaps for a game pouch?

12.  England 1780 Gilbert McHutchin by William Williams -  Strap showing, but no pouch.  

13.  Brtitain 1780,  John the 4th Duke of Atholl and his family.  (Note he has dicing on his Bonnet and that signifies Military Headgear)  - Looks to be a powder flask on his right hip.

14.  England 1782, Sir William Elford  -  Isn’t that what we would call a “Shot Snake” over his left shoulder?

15.  England, ca.  Joshua Walker of Clifton House  -  Crossbelts with woven pouch on his right hip under his coat and “shot snake” or maybe powder container peeking out from his coat?

More images of 19th century following in the link.
Gus
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:41:33 PM by Artificer »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: 18th Century Sporting Images with bags or pouches
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing the link to those great hunting prints.  Enjoyed checking them out.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:55:46 AM »
One I think you missed, Artificer, is the Mercier portrait of Sir Edward Hales.

The picture at your link was too small to see the pouch behind him, so I looked on google and found a MUCH larger image. This is the pouch and powder flask:

Looks like a double pouch, with some sort of bound edging, from 1744 no less!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:00:57 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »
GOOD EYES, Elnathan !!!!

Yep, with my unrepaired eyes, I missed that.  GREAT enlargement and thanks for catching it and the enlarged photo's!!

WOW, a double pouch that can be dated to at least 1744 when the portrait was painted.  I consider that a treasure of a find.  GREAT job!

Gus

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »
I can't tell if that pouch is cloth or leather, though I suppose it was leather.  The red banding could have been cloth or also leather.  NEAT pouch.
Gus